The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deja Vu - the Re-release thread!

+6
Moozo
cal_el
megablast16
CPC6128
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Deja Vu - the Re-release thread! Empty Deja Vu - the Re-release thread!

Post by Wolvieware Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Deja Vu - the Re-release thread! Deja-vu-header-590x330

I recall quite enjiying a thread on game rereleases on NowGamer. I don't think we have one here, but it's still a common trend. So here's the latest release to get groans or yays!

Devil May Cry 4 and DMC are getting new gen rereleases. In my opinion two games that don't really need it but does it float anyone's boat?

Last edited by Wolvieware on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Deja Vu - the Re-release thread! Empty Re: Deja Vu - the Re-release thread!

Post by PorcusHawk Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Wolvieware wrote:Devil May Cry 4 and DMC are getting new gen rereleases. In my opinion two games that don't really need it but does it float anyone's boat?

Loved DmC but I'm fucked if I'm buying it again, as for DMC4, still haven't completed it as I just wasn't able to get into it so that'll be a no too. Stupid fucking trend anyway, but you knew I was going to say that.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:08 pm

I never did play DmC despite getting it free on PSN+. The new rebalancing and upgrading they've done for next gen does look impressive with all the 1080P/60 FPS goodness. They've even gone in and re-located all the collectibles which I suspect could be a divisive decision.

The main thing they've got right is the price: £29.99 and it includes all the DLC that was released and some new modes and cut scenes.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 am

I liked DmC but I've played it twice, on 360 when it first came out and again just this year when it arrived on PS+, so I'm not interested in playing it again. To be fair though at least the price is sensible, it's ridiculous when these re-releases/remasters have a full, new release RRP slapped on them, I'm looking at you GTAV. As for DMC4 I never liked that in the first place.

Last edited by megablast16 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:39 am

I need a whole Mass Effect Trilogy re-release with some work being put into making each game fit together and flow into one another. Stuff like a levelling system that spans all three games. Graphics improvements from 2 and 3 being applied to 1 and a way of showing your choices across all three games. 

That would be awesome!

An Uncharted Trilogy set on PS4 would also be very, very nice to have Smile
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 am

If this trend is to continue next year I'd like to see more older games get the remaster treatment, I'm thinking along the lines of Red Dead Redemption, Mirror's Edge and Bioshock, games that would really benefit from more powerful hardware. Maybe even go back further to the PS2 era, a fully remastered GTA collection of the PS2 titles in HD would be interesting.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:20 pm

cal_el wrote:An Uncharted Trilogy set on PS4 would also be very, very nice to have Smile
I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen at some point.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:44 pm

CPC6128 wrote:I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen at some point.

Pretty sure that Naughty Dog came out recently and said it wasn't going to happen. Then again, it's such a lazy way for developers to make easy money I'd be very surprised if they don't u-turn on that.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 am

PorcusHawk wrote:

Pretty sure that Naughty Dog came out recently and said it wasn't going to happen. Then again, it's such a lazy way for developers to make easy money I'd be very surprised if they don't u-turn on that.
Trust me a lot of work goes into porting a game across hardware generations. Much more than you would think.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 pm

cal_el wrote:Trust me a lot of work goes into porting a game across hardware generations. Much more than you would think.

Maybe so. In which case, that's money and resources that could/should be better spent on providing gamers with new experiences or IP's.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:25 pm

PorcusHawk wrote:
cal_el wrote:Trust me a lot of work goes into porting a game across hardware generations. Much more than you would think.

Maybe so. In which case, that's money and resources that could/should be better spent on providing gamers with new experiences or IP's.
The effort made does pay off for new games because the teams behind the re-release have had experience getting things working on the newer consoles. Especially if it is handled internally like the recent re-releases of Tomb Raider and The Last of Us.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:30 pm

cal_el wrote:The effort made does pay off for new games because the teams behind the re-release have had experience getting things working on the newer consoles. Especially if it is handled internally like the recent re-releases of Tomb Raider and The Last of Us.

TBF, I just find that to be little of an excuse/justification and sorry Cal, but you'll never convince me that this trend is anything other than a cynical cash-grab, especially when that cycle is featuring games often little over a year old. Gamers that support the notion and buy these games sends a message that it's acceptable for developers to recycle the same old shit and accept a lack of genuine innovation. It's telling that, admittedly still only a year in, we have yet to see a truly next-gen experience.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm

PorcusHawk wrote:

I thought they said the opposite. Certainly Yoshida didn't rule it out.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm

PorcusHawk wrote:
cal_el wrote:The effort made does pay off for new games because the teams behind the re-release have had experience getting things working on the newer consoles. Especially if it is handled internally like the recent re-releases of Tomb Raider and The Last of Us.

TBF, I just find that to be little of an excuse/justification and sorry Cal, but you'll never convince me that this trend is anything other than a cynical cash-grab, especially when that cycle is featuring games often little over a year old. Gamers that support the notion and buy these games sends a message that it's acceptable for developers to recycle the same old shit and accept a lack of genuine innovation. It's telling that, admittedly still only a year in, we have yet to see a truly next-gen experience.
I'm on the fence for a lot of them myself which is why I haven't bought any really this past year. 

Part of me sees them as the gaming analogue to upgrading from DVD to BluRay while also allowing an easy avenue to improve future games. The other part knows that these things are greenlit because someone in a suit has looked at a spreadsheet with lots of numbers on it and said, "Yes this will give us X amount of guaranteed sales. Make it so."

The main thing though is that they allow people who missed them the first time around to get them again. I know many people who got rid of their 360s and PS3s a couple of years ago who are looking forward to jumping into games like The Last of Us when they eventually get a PS4.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

PorcusHawk wrote:
 Gamers that support the notion and buy these games sends a message that it's acceptable for developers to recycle the same old shit and accept a lack of genuine innovation.
I would only buy a remaster  of a PS3 game that I had not played. For example, I have no interest in playing Last of Us on PS4. So, I am not sure if I am sending that message to the developers because to me it's a brand new gaming experience. Case in point, GTA V.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:53 am

CPC6128 wrote:I would only buy a remaster  of a PS3 game that I had not played. For example, I have no interest in playing Last of Us on PS4. So, I am not sure if I am sending that message to the developers because to me it's a brand new gaming experience. Case in point, GTA V.

As per usual, I'm guilty of mass generalisation tongue. Perhaps I should have clarified that I meant the art of double-dipping*, although in that case, it's never going to be clear cut on the popularity of the rehashes. Maybe I should stop getting annoyed by the constant recycling, after all, I ain't going to be able to change shit and whist I have concerns about how it may negatively impact the future of the industry, it also isn't my place to tell people how to spend their hard-earned.

* Of which I've been guilty of in the past, only because I switched platforms late last gen and wanted to re-purchase a load of my older 360 stuff on the PS3. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Then again, if I'd have known that some of that shit was going to get recycled on the PS4, I probably should have waited Wink
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 am

Quantic Dream have promised "great news" in January on their Facebook page, this could mean details of their new game which is known to be in development. A lot of people though believe they could announce the long rumored PS4 version of Beyond: Two Souls, so maybe that's going to the next game to get the remaster treatment. I liked Two Souls but wouldn't be that fussed about a new version if it happens.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Me too but I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone that didnt originally pick it up.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Arkham collection featuring Asylum and City rumoured for release this year after Knight drops.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:43 am

They keep coming. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition will arrive this summer too on PS4 and XBOX ONE.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Gaming, the new Hollywood.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 pm

The only one I've played twice (last/this gen) was Tomb Raider, which was excellent both times around (and absolutely gorgeous on PS4).

That being said, I do want to get Last Of Us and GTAV though and would jump at the chance of a Dishonored remaster.

I also have Metro 2033 (still in a wrapper on my pile of shame) a game where I had the 360 version but never got around to playing it (like I'm not getting around to play it this gen!)

I am clearly part of the problem Embarassed
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:51 am

ThatGameCompany has confirmed that Journey will be coming to PS4 in the Summer. It will available as a standalone digital release and as part of a retail compilation along with Flow and Flower. 

It will be 1080p/60fps but will otherwise be identical to the PS3 version. I liked Journey a lot but personally I'm not interested in a PS4 version.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Rumour has it that the Gears games are heading to XB1 with a hi-def lick of paint. Not interested in these myself (I've played them all) but I can see this being quite a successful re-release for Microsoft. All eyes on E3 for official release info I reckon.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:35 pm

If the games are hard to get or expensive and I can get a remake update cheap then its ok but look at gears you can get all of them second hand for virtually nothing ... I suppose if you dump your old machines its a bit diffrent.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next