The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals

+6
Odyssey
sorenlorensen
cal_el
aaroncupboard
kerr9000
Moozo
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals Empty Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals

Post by Moozo Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Netflix thread to discuss things listed in the title. Yay coloured thread titles.

Across all of the regions (see Hola Unblock or unblock-us.com) there's absolutely loads on Netflix, so there's plenty everyone might have missed. Put your recommendations here.

I am currently looking forward to BoJack Horseman, the next Original. An animated comedy starring Will Arnett of Arrested Development, Aaron Paul of Breaking Bad and Alison Brie of Community which is out on Saturday.

Recently I watched Orphan Black, which has now appeared on the UK Netflix. Stars the utterly stunning Tatiana Maslany with one of the performances of the ever. The next series will be on BBC Three so it's a good chance to catch up before next year.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals Empty Re: Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals

Post by kerr9000 Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:00 pm

I started watching   Dusk Till Dawn the series on it and I thought it was pretty good. Other than that I use it to watch random films when sod all good is on the telly
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals Empty Re: Netflix. The thread of new additions, recommendations and Originals

Post by aaroncupboard Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 pm

The Shield is on it and that really is one of the best shows ever made!
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Just finished season 2 of Orange is the New Black and it is just as good as the first. So if you have yet to watch it DO IT NOW!

I would also recommend John Carter which is currently up on UK Netflix. Such a criminally underrated movie. It's proper old fashioned sci-fi adventure and is well worth a watch.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 am

Daybreakers, an intelligent vampire movie starring Ethan Hawke, Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe. I didn't have high hopes - I thought it was Netflix fodder - but I really enjoyed it.  It reminded me of Near Dark  and , oddly, of Gattacca. It's a real world version  of vampirism, one in which most people are vampires and humans are running out (so, a parable of resource-depletion).
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 am

Yeah I second John Carter
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Took me until the end of the second season, but I am finally hooked on Breaking Bad. I've tried to watch it twice before and it never really stuck.

P.s. Weird font I pressed something on my iPad by accident
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Odyssey Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 am

Firefly the full season. And it also has the feature film too. 
Great bit of sci fi cut down in its infancy much to the dismay of the www. Shame on Fox.

Odyssey

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah FireFly and Serenity were both Brilliant... cant beat a bit of Nathan Fillion ... there was a film of his me and my daughter watched on netflix not sure if it still on there and the name escapes me but he is a sherif and its creatures that crawl into your mouth and make you into zombie kind of things
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:16 pm

BoJack Horseman is now streaming! 12x 25 minute episodes.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Odyssey Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 pm

kerr9000 wrote:Yeah FireFly and Serenity were both Brilliant... cant beat a bit of Nathan Fillion ... there was a film of his me and my daughter watched on netflix not sure if it still on there and the name escapes me but he is a sherif and its creatures that crawl into your mouth and make you into zombie kind of things
Thanks ill check it out althoufh it does sound a bit ropey lol.
Btw I have heard from a US pal of mine that Nathan is trying to buy the rights to Firefly. Could be interesting.

Odyssey

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:37 am

Odyssey wrote:
kerr9000 wrote:Yeah FireFly and Serenity were both Brilliant... cant beat a bit of Nathan Fillion ... there was a film of his me and my daughter watched on netflix not sure if it still on there and the name escapes me but he is a sherif and its creatures that crawl into your mouth and make you into zombie kind of things
Btw I have heard from a US pal of mine that Nathan is trying to buy the rights to Firefly. Could be interesting.
Fillion made a throwaway quote a few years ago that he'd buy the rights if he won the lottery. There was fan-led, pre Kickstarter pledge-a-thon on the back of that, which was subsequently disowned (and so died) by Joss Whedon. Details here: http://unstoppablesignals.com/hnbf

There was a 'Netflix is doing season 2' April Fool this year too.

Firefly was a great show, one of my favourites of all time. The film is great too. I think Netflix/Amazon is most likely the only way a new season would ever be made now (a massive boost to subscriber numbers, you'd think). I wonder if it is too late  though - main participants have gone on to bigger, if not better, things.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:21 am

sorenlorensen wrote:
Odyssey wrote:
Fillion made a throwaway quote a few years ago that he'd buy the rights if he won the lottery. There was fan-led, pre Kickstarter pledge-a-thon on the back of that, which was subsequently disowned (and so died) by Joss Whedon. Details here: http://unstoppablesignals.com/hnbf

There was a 'Netflix is doing season 2' April Fool this year too.

Firefly was a great show, one of my favourites of all time. The film is great too. I think Netflix/Amazon is most likely the only way a new season would ever be made now (a massive boost to subscriber numbers, you'd think). I wonder if it is too late  though - main participants have gone on to bigger, if not better, things.

It is way to late now. The ship has sailed for the original cast anyway. They could do a Firefly The Next Generation type deal but would anyone watch it if it wasn't the original crew?
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Plenty of people watched Star Trek TNG (with only an old-ed up Deforest Kelley in the first ep, IIRC and a guest appearance from James Doohan sometime later).  A Firefly show would open well, given the interest but then it would be down to the quality of the show as to if it had legs. Personally, I think that the actors playing the remaining characters could pull it off age-wise (but not for much longer). I don't think it will happen though.

Weren't there some Firefly comics that continued the story?
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:02 pm

sorenlorensen wrote:Plenty of people watched Star Trek TNG (with only an old-ed up Deforest Kelley in the first ep, IIRC and a guest appearance from James Doohan sometime later).  A Firefly show would open well, given the interest but then it would be down to the quality of the show as to if it had legs. Personally, I think that the actors playing the remaining characters could pull it off age-wise (but not for much longer). I don't think it will happen though.

Weren't there some Firefly comics that continued the story?
Yes but they aren't very good.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Started watching season 4 of The Killing that was rescued by Netflix. Love this show. So moody.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Is the Amazon Prime/ Lovefilm thing any good?  Is there anything worth subscribing to, in addition to a Netflix sub?
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 pm

My fiance had both Love Film and Netflix for a shortwhile due to trials etc  .... I found them both to be more or less the same... We found Netflix had slightly more we wanted on it so stuck with it...

The company behind Play.com did there own one and when it first started it was £2.99 or something like that....kept meaning to try it but never did
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:50 pm

If you haven't, I'd put the extra 2 quid or so on top of Netflix to Unblock-Us subscription so you can access all the Netflix regions. You'll find a lot of stuff Amazon has bought is not under their license in the other regions so you can get it on Netflix.

I use moreflicks.com as my search engine (untick all but Netflix) and it will tell you what regions things are on, if you click on the Netflix logo.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:05 pm

if you watch it through a PC there are free programmes you can use to make it let you watch netflix from any region  Hola I think is the name of one
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah, but who wants to watch Netflix on their PC  Smile
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Well most of them have HDMI outputs .... I actually have a PC next to one of my TV's so that I can keep it full of films to watch etc  ....Its an old cast off it used to be used as a real PC but now due to its lack of umph its pretty much used as just a Media extender. Its a good thing to do if you have a sort of outdated PC and no one you like enough to pass it off to.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Finished The Killing season 4 sadly  Sad Love this show. One of my favourites.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Finished Breaking Bad. Not sure how I feel about the last season really
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:28 am

It didn't end how I wanted it to end.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next