The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC gaming for a newbie

3 posters

Go down

PC gaming for a newbie Empty PC gaming for a newbie

Post by Moozo Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Right, I'm finally replacing my old laptop with something a bit more sprightly. At the moment I can just about run Football Manager and anything properly 3D is far too intensive. So it goes without saying that I've never really done much PC gaming.
My new one will hopefully be capable of running most modern games on medium settings at ~30fps; nothing mindblowing, but somewhere between last-gen and current-gen consoles. So, I want to catch up on anything I've missed, learn any tricks I might need and just pick up some newbie tips. I also want to take advantage of some of the Steam sales to play some titles that might otherwise cost significantly more on console.
With a few of you dabbling in PC games I wondered if you might be able to help.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

PC gaming for a newbie Empty Re: PC gaming for a newbie

Post by CPC6128 Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 pm

First things first, get on this week's Humble Bundle, a load of Square games for cheap. Also keep an eye on the Weekly Bundles too.

Humble Bundle

Also, mouse/keyboard works for Footy Manager but for "console" type games you'd probably benefit from a controller.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Cheers CPC, I'll have a look at those. I'm thinking about using my DS4 - is anyone doing that successfully? Google suggests it should work
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:45 pm

I use a wired Ps3 pad with a faulty trigger myself  lol   very few games I play seem to need enough buttons to need the knackerd trigger but that trigger makes it usless for the ps3 most of the time..

Yeah use Humble bundle, and look at things like Bundle Stars sometimes as well sometimes you can get piles of games for basically almost nothing.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:06 am

Forgot how much less of a pain it is to set up a new PC these days. LastPass, Chrome Sync and Ninite make it relatively easy. No avoiding all the file transfers though!
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down