The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alien: Isolation

+4
cal_el
sorenlorensen
megablast16
Wolvieware
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Alien: Isolation - Page 3 Empty Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by Wolvieware Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:48 am

I read elsewhere that Crew Expendable was the better piece. So...opinions. All it's told me is that Last Survvivor probably isn't worth picking up.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 pm

So how are people faring with this? I've had a chance to really sit down and play it today, following on from my first play of the game. I'm up to chapters 5 and 6 now.

Despite playing it for most of this afternoon, I've only managed to play a level and a half. These two levels have been predominantly alien based, and it is petrifying. It's not jumpy, but I'm just so scared to go anywhere. I spent 15 minutes hunkered in a small bedroom, because I wasn't sure where the creature was!! Haha. It's nerve wracking. And brilliant.

But I have also come across some annoyances. Checkpoints can frequently be too long. I've done a huge chunk of game with no saving, and then get spotted by the alien, which is a one hit kill scenario. It does feel a little unfair that I have to backtrack up to 20 mins of gameplay sometimes. Also, to escape the hands of the deadly androids, only to be snatched from victory by the alien also comes across as unfair. These are annoyances, but so far haven't detracted from the overall experience of the game, as yet. I've found its better to avoid combat at all, rather than try and fiddle around with the gadgets. Also the human AI is pretty crap, especially when you get the fantastic AI of the Alien. 

But its an exhausting game to play. I find myself taking frequent breaks to rest!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm up to Chapter 15 now and still loving it, sure it can be frustrating at times but it gets so much right I'm prepared to overlook some of the games weaker points. For me it's the unpredictability of the Alien that makes the game, like the time I thought I was safe hiding in a locker, as I had been for all of the game up to that point, only for the Alien to wrench open the door and inflict a hideous death. affraid

I don't want to give too much away but there's also one chapter in particular that any fan of the first Alien movie will get a huge kick out of.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:06 pm

megablast16 wrote:

I don't want to give too much away but there's also one chapter in particular that any fan of the first Alien movie will get a huge kick out of.

Do you happen to mean chapter 8 and 9? It's like THAT level from Dead Space 2 - worth playing just for that bit. Brilliant.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 am

I was talking about Chapter 9, the flashback level where they discover and explore the derelict spacecraft on the surface of the planet.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 am

I really want to get this game! Stupid lack of money getting in the way of things! Harumph!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Look in game Cal   I brought it today ...it was either 25 for just the game new sealed (Ripley edition)  or 35 for the game and season pass.... I got the game and season pass... not sure if I should use the passes in the riply edition or if the season pass covers these
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm

PC version down to £17 something with GAME. Mighty tempted but will wait longer.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:19 pm

kerr9000 wrote:Look in game Cal   I brought it today ...it was either 25 for just the game new sealed (Ripley edition)  or 35 for the game and season pass.... I got the game and season pass... not sure if I should use the passes in the riply edition or if the season pass covers these
I don't even have £25 spare to get it while the getting is good  Mad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:08 pm

ooops sorry chap...still thought it was worth a mention in case
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:14 am

Result! the wife saw that Lego: The Hobbit: The Video Game was in the Game promotion for super cheap so we dipped into our joint saving to buy that and Alien Very Happy
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:52 am

yeah I considerd Lego when I got Alien... but got the Alien season pass instead  lol
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:10 pm

I got the Nostromo edtion with the XBOX One I brought. already owning it on the PS4 I traded the xbox one version in and spent 6 pounds going from it to Shadows of Mordor for the PS4 ... I kept the dlc code you get and thought I would see if it was any use to anyone on here ..so if it is then let me know.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:11 pm

New nightmare difficulty mode added in latest patch. As I'm struggling on normal I will avoid, but a perfect game mode for Pigmarcher to slave against!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Tonight I got round to playing the Crew Expendable DLC. It's a throwaway piece of content, but nice to have as it was a free preorder bonus. It's got a more direct relation to the movie than the game does, and features actual dialogue and characters. It only took me about 45mins to complete, but included some good alien action in its short run time, but that's about it. Exploration is minimal, and other than that there's nothing else to do. I recorded me playthrough, so might get round to putting some of the videos up (recorded the whole thing in 5 stages). As my last dip into Isolation, it was fun. But the main game itself is the real showstopper.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 pm

I need to go back to this. I'm enjoying it for the most part but the archaic save system is driving me insane! I keep losing chunks of playtime due to Dying between save points Sad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 am

Well they are manual saves most of the time but I don't recall having an issue. There was one time where I turned it off because I kept dying and the last save was miles back but that was rare. There's enough of those machines around. I do think its a cheap way of building up tension/scares though but it's common in horror games, rather than archaic.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Sat May 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Late to the party but made a start on this today.

Tension is there almost from the start!!
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum