The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently completed game(s)

+7
CPC6128
sorenlorensen
aaroncupboard
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
kerr9000
11 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 Empty Re: Recently completed game(s)

Post by Wolvieware Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:00 am

Well done! I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface yet! But when I only put in 1 or 2 hours a week on this it is going to last me ages. 

When you say complete though, do you have anything still to do in game? And will you get the DLC?
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:07 am

megablast16 wrote:Is there a point of no return or can you continue in free play once the story's finished?

You can continue in free play once the game is finished, this may go without saying but just be very wary of how some side quests are impacted by the main story quests. I still have quite a few '?' left in Skellige although I have cleared them in the other areas, I also finished up all the Witcher contracts as well as the bulk of the other stuff.

Cheers Wolvie, yes I still have a few things to do (albeit very little) and there is absolutely no doubt that I'll be getting the DLC. I also wouldn't be surprised to see me starting a playthrough on 'Death March' difficulty very soon as I did the game on 'Broken Bones'.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:41 pm

I've done all the Brothers In Arms recruitment missions in Act 2 apart from the Velen one, I got a failed message for that so I obviously did something along the way to screw that up and it's too late now.  Crying or Very sad

As far as the story line goes all that's open to me currently is to get on a boat and travel to the Isle Of Mists.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Just did the first Episode of the Game of Thrones game.... I have to admit I found it really boring and a tough slog to pull myself through
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Just finished Tales of Hearts R, another great game in one of my favourite franchises.

In typical Tales fashion I still have some post-game stuff to go through so I probably won't be properly putting this down just yet.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:51 am

I haven't finished a game in aaaaaaages! Been too busy to play a lot of things lately Sad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:35 am

New Super Mario bros 2... It was fun but yeah you beat one of these things your pretty much set to beat them all
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 am

Updates in bold.

January
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 08/02
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood [Xbox One]
Valiant Hearts: The Great War [PS4]
Final Fantasy X: HD Remaster [PS Vita]

February
Game of Thrones Episode 2: The Lost Lords [PS4]
Super Mario 3D World [Wii U]
The Order: 1886 [PS4]

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 2: Atlas Mugged [PS4]

April
- Work, life and games without ends got in the way! - 

May

June
Halo 2: Anniversary [Xbox One]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 Hhh2-1415704733

After a bit of a prolonged absence from sitting down and dedicating my time to playing a game through to the end I sat down to play some good old fashioned Halo 2 with a new lick of paint!

Halo 2 is probably one of the weaker entries into the franchise campaign wise. It's all over the place in terms of story, characters and pacing. Also it has that infamous abrupt ending due to Bungie running out of time when making the game. Thankfully the gameplay is solid and despite the bumpy ride Halo 2 manages to do a lot of world building that is still being plundered by the franchise today. The addition of 343's terminals also help fill in some of the gaps and give more overall sense to the craziness that is Halo's wider story. The new graphics look great and the reworked cutscenes in particular are beautiful to watch albeit a bit jarring when you switch back to normal gameplay.

Not surprisingly due to the Mast Chief Collection's well documented problems I encountered several nasty and annoying bugs along the way. AI not loading/behaving correctly, physics for the game regularly going mental, some progress being lost for no reason and many checkpoints not triggering. It is a bit rough around the edges but I can look past them to see the good game that is still there.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Completed The Witcher 3 today, the story quest that is. I've still got some Witcher contracts and side quests left and plenty of undiscovered locations to explore but the story is done.

Anyway incredible game and easily the best I've played so far this gen, edging out Bloodborne. No spoilers but the entire build up to the climax and the ending itself are gripping and there's just so much content in the game it's mind boggling. You could easily spend hour upon hour just wandering the game world exploring, there's always something of interest nearby be it a bandit camp, monster nest, treasure location or a village to shop in and look around for more quests. 

Absolutely loved it.  Smile
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Finished Gucamelle on the Xbox one... finished this on most of the platforms its on now just really enjoy it.

Also finished Castlevania Symphony of the night with all 4 endings.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Just completed Injustice: Gods Among Us on PS4. I've played this previously on Xbox, and enjoyed it then, and enjoyed it again here courtesy of PS+. This really does have the best single player campaign of any fighting game. It's actually worthwhile, and uses its characters well. Although in this spruced up version, the cut scenes look a bit poor compared to the actual gameplay footage which looks ace. There's lots more to the game if you are a fighting fan, but I'm pretty crap at them, but the story mode and the still exciting notion of playing as Batman et al, is enough for me to like it. I'll keep it on my HDD in case I ever feel like having a bash.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Finished Saints Row Gat out of hell... took about 5 hours, it was fun and I am glad they went down the stand alone expansion route with it instead of artificially lengthening it into a game like some studios would have done.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Updates in bold.

January

February

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]

April

May

June

July
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4] - Hardcore Mode
Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 A4580CA3D8C402ED3A387821F178DDAA3CAE6460
Finished yet another playthrough of Diablo III over the weekend Very Happy This time with a permadeath Hardcore Character! I kept the overall difficulty low, only stepping it up a few times but playing in Hardcore was surprisingly a lot of fun. The few times I nearly died were super tense, edge of your seat moments. I also stuck with it and managed to level the character to the Level 70 soft cap netting me a few more trophies in the process! All I have to do now is level up the other classes to 70 and get some of the more specific trophies and the Platinum is mine!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Finished Assassins Creed black flag... as far as I can remember its the first one I have played to the end.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Updates in bold.

January

February

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]

April

May

June

July
Journey [PS4]

August
Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4] - Story Complete

Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 2891183-batman-arkham_knight-review_promo_20150618
Managed to sit down and finish Arkahm Knight yesterday! ....well the main story anyway.
Overall I absolutely love this game, like the other Arkham titles the gameplay is solid and the world is dripping with an attention to detail not seeing in other comic book games. That includes the Batmobile. Despite the general distaste people seem to have for it I really enjoy zooming around the city in it living out my Batman fantasies. The only time the Batmobile outstayed its welcome was a section in the story were I had to use it for a good few hours without being able to do anything else. 

I will slowly be whittling away at the rest of the game to get the Knightfall Protocol ending but I am very impressed overall.

I also managed to squeeze in a magical playthrough of Journey when it finally came out of PS4 at the end of July. Had someone with me from the start until the end without either of us dropping out. So not only did I get the trophy for it without gaming it but I also felt like I kind of got to know* the person I was playing with throughout our time together.

*In reality this person is probably a terrible person!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Finished Advanced Warfare took me ages as I would end up doing a level and then leaving it for a fortnight.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 am

I finished Eps 1-4 of Life is Strange (shotgunned 1-3, downloaded 4 on day of release), playing it all with my daughter* (who has since gone back and replayed them all, looking for photos we missed first time around).  

Really enjoyed everything about it - story, setting, rewind mechanism, soundtrack.  Much better than Dontnod's 'Remember Me' which also had a rewind mechanism but (I seem to remember) several of us on here (myself included) had problems with the controls.  This game is less complicated in terms of 'gamey-ness' than Remember Me, so there were no similar problems with LiS.

*yes, there are adult themes but life has loads of adult themes and I like using intelligent games like this as a life trainer.  As well as a bag full of fun for me Smile
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:46 am

So i completed my first championship in Rocket League and counting that as a completed game. It's good. If you didn't get it on PS+ I think you've missed your chance now, but everyone should try it for free, because I am a convert. From decrying the game when I first saw a video of it, to trying to it out, and then loving it when I hit multiplayer. It's wacky and fun, and when played with friends, can be hugely entertaining. The single player, sadly, is a bit boring compared to that, and I only ended up playing single player matches if I just wanted a quick five minute game of something. I'm kinda tempted by the DLC, but don't think I play the game enough to warrant it.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

Updates in bold.

January

February

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]

April

May

June

July
Journey [PS4]

August
Curse of Naxxramas - A Hearthstone Adventure [Mac/iOS]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 Logo
Forgot to add this the other day!

After paying for it months ago I finally sat down and played through the remaining wings of Curse of Naxxramas adventure for Hearthstone. It is a different pace of play to your usual Hearthstone shenanigans. More focused on solving the puzzle of each AI opponent, their unique abilities and the cards they play. You end up having to construct specific decks to deal with the tougher opponents and you are in turn rewarded with new cards to use in the usual competitive play modes of the game. The presentation has a light-hearted slant to it which works really well and it never takes itself too seriously. You are after all playing a virtual card game based on and set in a virtual world so the whole thing is a bit ridiculous. I battled my way through the various wings and hero specific challenges to unlock all of the Naxxramas cards for my collection but I doubt I will touch Heroic Mode because all you get for your effort is a special Card Back. It is a mode that allows you to take your time too with no timers on turns so you can think things through which is great. I also think that playing through the adventure has improved my Ranked play skills too because you really learn the strengths and weaknesses of the new cards included in the set. 

Despite adding a bunch of useful cards to my collection and really enjoying playing through it. I think the main reason it took me so long to complete was because the mode's singleplayer focus means that it does not count towards your Daily Quests which are the primary way to earn gold in Hearthstone. 

Still, I will be grabbing the next adventure when I get paid this month. I have also pre-paid for 50 packs of the new The Grand Tournament card set which is coming out later this month. Looks like I have fallen down the Hearthstone rabbit hole once again!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:59 am

Wolfenstein The Old Blood

Really good fun! The shooting is as good as the main game and the new weapons are brilliant. The first part is the more normal part, sticking very closely to the structure and gameplay of the main game. Castle Wolfenstein is once again a brilliant location, but the game doesn't use it well enough. In fact, you are barely in the castle and I would have preferred a bit more of an open location. However, the gameplay is still exceptionally solid and fun.

Part 2 sees the biggest change, with the game fully embracing the shlocky b movie premise. The setting is great, the zombie combat satisfying and the new pipe melee weapon is wonderful. Even the boss fight was fairly decent.

Overall, a fantastic expansion to an excellent game. Decent price as well.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

Completed Lego Jurassic World this morning. It starts off brilliantly. I think the Jurassic Park levels are perfect. But it does get worse as it goes on. The Jurassic World levels are the weakest in the game. But the iconography and sounds from the movie are utilised really well and it's a lot of fun. I still have the hub levels to explore and collectibles to get which I probably will go for. It's up there with the best of the Lego games overall though even if it doesn't have a large and recognisable character roster and it still has usual glitches TT should have ironed out games ago, but it's faithfulness to the license keeps it a top game.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:14 pm

I finished the Saints Row 4 DLC  How the Saints Saved Christmas today.... Yeah I timed that really well
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:48 am

I finished the saints row 4 DLC Enter the dominatrix and finished the main game again.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:13 am

Updates in bold.

January

February

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]

April

May

June

July
Journey [PS4]

August
Curse of Naxxramas - A Hearthstone Adventure [Mac/iOS]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PS3]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 7 XxJE3nLObew
I've had a lot of fun replaying MGS 4 (now with Trophies!) and I had honestly forgotten how good it is if you are as invested in the MGS franchise as much as I am. The structure of the game is a calculated re-treading of the key themes from each of the MGS games and pretty much every character gets their moment to shine. Yes things get ridiculous, yes the cutscenes are long, yes there is the usual technobabble that plagues the series and yes Solid Snake is nothing more than a tool for other people's aims once again. But that is what makes MGS unique and MGS 4 is a celebration of the franchise's uniqueness. The game has a recurring theme of breaking away from your genes and ends with a sense that all bets are off. Something Kojima is actively doing with MGSV if Ground Zeroes is anything to go by. MGS 4 closes the book on the story heavy Metal Gear game and I am looking forward to how The Phantom Pain breaks away from the rigid rules now that they are going open world with an emergent gameplay focus.

Despite its more archaic design and approach to handling things MGS 4 is still a bit a head of its time. The first few acts of the game are more open and you have multiple paths you can take to get through them. For the most part you are given a refreshing amount of freedom to do what you want. You slowly amass a huge arsenal of weapons and gadgets that further open up the gameplay to experimentation. Also there is a good variety of enemy types to keep you on your toes. Also like all the other MGS games it plays around with established video game tropes and in particular the engrained tropes of the MGS franchise as it tries to weave everything together into a grand finale. The story has a cathartic quality to it as things go from bad to worse until the last moments when Snake and Co have their triumphant victory. The game is peppered with brilliant gameplay, story and character moments with the right mix of drama, cheese and cool. 

There is also lots of the Kojima trick of gameplay mechanics reflecting the story and strains on the games characters. Painfully mashing triangle as Snake crawls through the microwave corridor is a brilliant meeting of player and game that pays off because everyone involved in the sequence including the player is trying their hardest to help Snake reach the end of the corridor. 

The game also has one of my favourite final boss battles ever which helps too!

I'm super excited for The Phantom Pain now Very Happy
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:47 pm

Completed Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris today, in three player coop. It was a lot of fun, but due to the coop. I think played on your own, this is a dull game. But the simple temple raiding puzzle gameplay works when you have more players, and the fun is in working together to find the solution. Some of the puzzles are irritating, while some are ingenious. Combat is ok, but can get fiddly when there is so much on screen, and the camera pulls out to fit it all in. There's also numerous niggles, like getting collectibles in one session, means they return when you put the game on next, making it difficult to know which collectibles you already have or don;t. The hub world if also over-complicated for no good reason. The base game is great, in coop, so don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of below average extraneous stuff. As it was free on PS+ recently, it's worth giving it a shot though.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next