The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently completed game(s)

+7
CPC6128
sorenlorensen
aaroncupboard
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
kerr9000
11 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Recently completed game(s) - Page 5 Empty Re: Recently completed game(s)

Post by kerr9000 Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Finished Roommates another romance type game, this one free of pigeons thankfully lol
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Finally finished Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, over three years since I first started it. A long-standing member of my Pile of Shame!

It was absolutely excellent, beautiful to look at and slick as ever. Even the Wii 'waggliness' was well implemented! c75 hours of gaming, and I didn't do much in the way of side missions.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

I bought SS on release day and have yet to play it. Embarassed
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:50 am

That reminds me that I can play Skyward Sword on my Wii U! 

Gonna see if I can hunt down a copy of it to play becuase I missed it the first time around Very Happy
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm

I have finally completed Alien Isolation. My, what a game! It is easily the best game I played in 2014, so gets my game of the year vote. Just sheer brilliance pretty much from start to finish. The game got great reviews as it is. The biggest complaint I read was that the game got a bit repetitive and dragged out. Well, if you play the game like I happened too, with a few gaps in between (once when I leant it to my brother, then a second shorter break when I got a bit hooked on Unity) and it doesn't really feel like that. Obviously those reviewers sit down and play from start to finish, the breaks were necessary I think, as it did mean I was eager to play the game after my break, and kept it feeling fresher. So if that's the only negative, then this game is as close to the perfect Alien game they will ever get.

Not only is it probably the best looking game I have yet to play, it conveys that 70s sci fi aesthetic amazingly well. It feels like it is lifted directly out of the film. The setting is spot on. When you walk down a smoky corridor, sparks zapping and lights flickering, with the pentagonal shape, it just feels straight out of Alien. Sure, the game's mechanics don't really change from go here, go there, collect this, push this button, but the atmosphere and style, and sounds and look make it an experience. 

Then you add in the alien. Towards the end, it gets a bit too easy with the flamethrower, but before then, it was at times a tense, heart bumping game. You knew that thing was stalking you. And it was scary. And it just felt clever, and would hunt, and track. And they set up so many cool alien moments, and used the iconic character really well. The humans were not so well represented, and the robots were realistic, but just stupidly over powered. Again, facehuggers were a little annoying, being one hit deaths, but if you came across them, you just had to take it carefully, but their inclusion was welcome. 

This game is a classic like the movie. Like Dead Space. It does the film justice in a way that I don't think will ever be beaten, or at least feel so authentic. If you have any love for the movie, you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this. That said, I'm likely to trade the game in, as I don't think I would really play it all over again (it took me near enough 20 hours). It is a fantastic game, with strong mechanics, graphics that excel, and a mood and setting that is thrilling, tense and cinematic. You will hear me scream about this game....
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 pm

I really enjoyed Alien Isolation but got stuck on a spike and was then seduced (again) by Black Flag. I do want to get back to it though - it is near the top,of my Pile of Shame. I might drop the difficulty level to get over the spike.

You were spot on about the design, Wolvie - really hits the mark of the original film
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Recently completed The Wolf Among Us. What an absolute gem of a game. The story was gripping, the visuals lovely and the action sequences great fun.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Dead Rising 3, with the best ending you can get.... yeah I loved it. It was the game that made me get an Xbox One... I brought the season pass when it was on sale (for 8quid) so have that to go through now.... still need to buy that super turbo add on because yeah its not in the season pass
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:36 am

Dead Rising 3 untold stories Episode 1.... it was pretty good but a lot shorter than I expected....glad I got it on sale for 8quid for all 4 episodes  at the original price of 8quid for that id have felt ripped off   I think it  was only 4quid of content in my oppinion.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Updates in bold.

January
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 08/02
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood [Xbox One]
Valiant Hearts: The Great War [PS4]
Final Fantasy X: HD Remaster [PS Vita]

February
Game of Thrones Episode 2: The Lost Lords [PS4]
Super Mario 3D World [Wii U]
The Order: 1886 [PS4]

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 5 Hyrule%20Warriors%20Pic-620x

Finished Hyrule Warrior's campaign mode and I have really enjoyed it! A lot more than I thought I would actually. Despite being a longterm on/off again player of the Dynasty Warriors games I had my reservations about mashing it up will The Legend of Zelda. 

Thankfully it takes the best aspects of Dynasty Warrior's gameplay and format and puts a nice Zelda spin on it. Namely having to use specific items to defeat bosses and challenges. The story is the usual Zelda style stuff but with armies duking it out rather than Link travelling through various temples. It is surprising how well it works without breaking that feeling of it being a Zelda game! I felt a bit overpowered towards the end but thats sort of expected. 

Still I have only just scratched the surface, I may have finished the story mode but now I have the DLC, Challenges and Adventure Mode to sink my teeth into!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Dead Rising 3 untold stories Episode 2    I am pretty glad I brought the season pass on sale...just dont feel ready to stop playing Dead Rising... reminds me I never actually finished  Dead Rising off the records.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Dead Rising 3 untold stories Episode 3 ,  Yeah Im still hacking away at this only one more episode to go and then If I want to play more and not just repeat stuff I will have to buy the super turbo add on.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Completed MGS at the weekend. So many memories. Such a great game. Only slightly niggly is the backtracking toward the end. 

The MGS games and Resident Evil games have a lot similarities to me. Wacky plots, bizarre characters, weird dialogue!!
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 pm

MarkySharky wrote:Completed MGS at the weekend. So many memories. Such a great game. Only slightly niggly is the backtracking toward the end. 

The MGS games and Resident Evil games have a lot similarities to me. Wacky plots, bizarre characters, weird dialogue!!
Except one franchise has stood the test of time. The other is Resident Evil Wink
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Finished Game of Thrones ep2. Not quite as hard hitting as ep1 but still GoT and Telltale, so good.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:46 pm

I've played enough of MotoGP 14 recently to now feel like I've completed it. I've done some career, which I think is ongoing, played many races online, and completed the extensive challenge mode. I won't trade it in yet, as I probably will come back to the career, but I could do with a break from the game now. It is arguably the best motorbike game yet. The handling feels spot on, and over the years they've added more and more to the title until its almost at its peak. I liked how the track dried out over wet races, and you could see it - many racing games claim this, but in MotoGP 14 going on to the damp really affected the handling, and it really stuck out for me. The helmet cam is also wicked, but impossible to race in! The challenge mode was surprisingly good, and lengthy, and the hardest part of the game as many challenged has strict restrictions in place. I also liked the addition of classic bikes and riders from down the years, but its not really given the same nostalgic blast like F1 2013 did. A nice addition, but it just feels too samey to the modern bikes in gameplay and presentation to really make much difference. Also, the safety car mode is fun, but also totally pointless, especially as it handles like crap! The game is great overall, but the career mode is still the slog it always is - just roping some championship seasons together with testing sessions just does not cut it any more. It's boring. Especially as you have to wade through Moto 2 and 3 to get to the GP you bloody bought the game for! Career really needs a revamp, and the online is still a bit slow and tedious to navigate. 

They are so close to providing an ultimate motorbike game. I've not bought one for a few years, until I played MotoGP13 on Vita, and that was good it inspired me to get this. If I wait another few years, maybe some of the issues will have been cleared up? I don't think the game really needs a yearly release anyway.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Finally nabbed the Platinum trophy for Lords of the Fallen Smile

I honestly thought that the the final trophy I needed had glitched as it specified 'collect 12 special weapons' but I already had 14 of them. Thankfully, a quick speed run through the rest of one of my NG+ files landed me special weapon #15 and the trophy popped. It would seem that I may have needed 12 specific special weapons, although that wasn't made clear.

At least that's done now and I may have a small break from the game before trying to land the 5 remaining DLC trophies that I need for the 100%.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Finally finished up my NG+ on Dark Souls.

Hadn't played the game for months and for some inexplicable reason I left the game just before the final boss (maybe I struggled to get past the piece of shit). So going back after months of not playing only to be greeted by the final boss was far from ideal, spent a few hours over each of the last couple of nights only to be met with frustration (whilst trying to get back to the Souls way of thinking*), followed by a couple of hours this afternoon until I finally beat the fucker.

Felt good and in that short, albeit frustrating, time I was reminded as to just how perfect this game is in every way and why it'll probably always be my favourite game ever. As much as I'm excited for Bloodborne, it does have a job on its hands to match up with this.

May see how far I can get into the NG++ before Bloodborne arrives as I'm not sure I have the will to return to Dark Souls 2 instead.

* Not aided by the recent return to Lords of the Fallen, which whilst very similar, had just a couple of different button presses for each action and was also significantly easier.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Completed Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS3 last night.

Overall I thought it was great but I didn't enjoy it as much as MGS1. This was mainly due to heavy reliance on long codec and cinematic sequences to tell the story. I'm not sure how else they could have done it really but it was frustrating and made the whole experience a bit fragmented.

I didn't find Raiden as annoying this time round and kinda liked him toward the end. 

The plot becomes quite confusing in the second half of the game and I found myself wondering what was going on. However, unlike some games, the end actually cleared a lot of it up which was quite satisfying.

The boss fights were also a bit rubbish apart from Fatman. Very poorly thought out to me and the fight against the Metal Gear Rays was a particularly anticlimax and unimaginative.

Despite the game supposedly being about stealth I actually found being stealthy quite tricky due to the control scheme.

I know I've made a lot of negative comments here but I did genuinely enjoy the game! Honest!  Laughing
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:15 am

Finished the final episode of The Walking Dead season 2 on PC the other night. 

What a game series this. I much prefer season 2 over season 1. Tougher and more harsh choices. Much more gritty overall. The game also has never looked better. 

My only complaint is that playing as a little girl can be conflicting. I can well imagine a lot of people being swayed into making choices based on the fact the character is a young girl. I however just make decisions that I think I would make which seems to offend a lot of the characters in the game! Laughing

I can't wait for more of this and apparently there will be something similar to '400 Days' to tide is over until season 3.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 am

Just completed Daylight. It was ok. I only paid £3 for it, and it's only four levels long. The levels are bland staples of gaming - an asylum, a prison, sewers and a forest. Do developers really think gamers love wading around in sewers? But it does actually pick up towards the end. The first level is all WTF as you don't even really know what you are doing. But by level 3 and 4 it has introduced some easy puzzle elements that mix it up a bit, and then it ends. The randomly generated level design didn't really impact the game much. If you had any interest in it, and can get it for a couple of quid, then it's worth getting just to pique your interest, but otherwise don't bother.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 pm

And this afternoon I've finished Infamous: First Light. It's a neat little mini-game. I like the concept of these shorter games, which use the assets of its bigger brother, and tells another story with fan-friendly winks. This contains all the great graphics, gameplay and open world discovery of Second Son, just on a slightly smaller scale. It works. It was a nice little bite-size chunk of gameplay that I enjoyed returning too, as it has been a while since I played the original. I do think, though, for a game that is all about special powers, and it really does do a good job of giving you interesting and easy to use special powers, that the storyline takes itself far too seriously. It's all po-faced and sombre, when it should be FUN. Fortunately, most of the game is fun, despite the story. I hope everyone else nabbed it on PS+, as I think its been one of the services best offerings recently.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Sorry for the triple post, but I am on a completing games bonanza today! Just finished The Order 1886. As you may have gathered from my post in the game's topic, I think very favourably towards the game. I think it is a glossy, highly polished triple AAA title. It's one of those games, like Beyond, that is like participating in a movie. It looks stunning, it's slick and fun to play, and keeps things moving swiftly with cutscenes, QTE's and gameplay areas. It's not perfect - for a cinematic game, we should probably expect better from it's script, and a better storyline (although I did like it). But its no worse than any other games storyline. As for length, when a game has a minimum of 4 hours cutscene, how anyone can complete it in 5 hours is rubbish. It took me a good 10-12 hours, although I got all achievements and collectibles en route. Perhaps if you know what you are expecting, its a better game, but I really think this game has been hard done by critically. I hope there's a sequel, but I wouldn't want them to change the game so much due to the criticism. However, there are improvements that could be made. Overall though, this is a fun, enjoyable blast from start to finish, no more than that.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Finished Burial at Sea pt1, the Bioshock Infinite dlc. Enjoyable stuff but then I liked the game itself a lot.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Updates in bold.

January
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 08/02
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood [Xbox One]
Valiant Hearts: The Great War [PS4]
Final Fantasy X: HD Remaster [PS Vita]

February
Game of Thrones Episode 2: The Lost Lords [PS4]
Super Mario 3D World [Wii U]
The Order: 1886 [PS4]

March
Hyrule Warriors [Wii U]
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 2: Atlas Mugged [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 5 Pe2vo8drkech5ncy0wix

The second chapter of Tales from the Borderlands seems to be shorter than the first but overall I preferred it. The story moves along at a brisk pace with the set pieces and exploration bits being varied enough to keep things fresh. They are doing a lot of cool stuff with this and using the Borderlands IP as an excuse to have a lot of fun compared to Telltale's other, more serious titles. There are also a few more characters and locations linking it to the main Borderlands games too! If you're in that venn diagram of people who like Borderlands and Telltale games you need to check it out!

Also a bug free experience for me! Very Happy
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next