The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do I start with Nintendo?

4 posters

Go down

Where do I start with Nintendo? Empty Where do I start with Nintendo?

Post by Moozo Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Aside, from having an N64 when I was younger, and a Wii a few years ago, I've never really played much Nintendo.

I remember a bit of Zelda, and that's it really. I've never played a Mario game or any of the main Nintendo IP really.

So I want to catch up on things, but I don't know a lot about any of it. I know there are some remastered versions of the classics on various models of DS and a couple on Wii U (I think?). I want to jump in at the most convenient point to do all these things.

I kind of like the idea of a DS because I haven't got a portable, but does that have many of the classics? (I don't even know what are considered classics, really!)

And the Wii U is getting to the price point where I'm getting a bit tempted - but then I want to get an Xbox One at some point and I just don't have the time or need for owning all three consoles any more. But if it has enough games - does it do backwards compat? - then it might be the best option.

Help me out Nintendo fans!
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Where do I start with Nintendo? Empty Re: Where do I start with Nintendo?

Post by kerr9000 Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:17 pm

The Wii U plays Wii Games as long as you have a wii mote and nunchuck which are easy enough to pick up.... The Wii U also has its own virtual console service which sells games all the way from the NES up to a few wii games... some of the games you can buy digitally on there are blooming expensive if you want them physically now days so it can be usefull

If you get a 3DS it can also play all ds games and has a virtual console of its own with the games from a lot of old machines on it..

Important things to remember nintendo stuff is region locked.  If you let me know the kinds of games you like I can make recomendations.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Just remembered I've still got a Wii somewhere so I've got the remote and nunchuck.

I want to play some fun, less serious stuff. Just classic Nintendo stuff really. So whatever the best of those are. Kind of thinking a DS might be the best way
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:59 pm

If your thinking of buying a newer Nintendo console I would recommend the Wii U. I love mine to bits and the current crop of first party games for it have been really good. Also you can buy Wii, N64, SNES, NES and DS games digitally on it as well and the prices aren't too bad.

With Mario I would say if you can start out with Super Mario 3D World or Mario Galaxy
For Zelda go for Wind Waker HD if you get a Wii U if not Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time
Any Mario Kart will serve you well.
If you fancy something different try Super Smash Bros. but that only really works when you are playing it with friends in the same room.

If you decide to go for the 3DS route go for Pokemon, Pokemon and more Pokemon! Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:20 am

It's worth getting a WiiU now, as some of the deals coming up are very keen. I'd wait until after E3, as if Nintendo announce new hardware, prices should fall still further. HotUKDeals very often has WiiU deals on it. I'd go for the Wind Waker pack, as that game is getting a little hard to find and is seldom available for under £30 on its own.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:55 am

The Wii U version of Mario Kart is brilliant, its the thing on the machine I have enjoyed the most, So I would give that a shout out.

Although not Ninteno and not light and fluffy I highly recommend Zombie U its diffrent fun in short bursts and you can get it for around 6 to 8 quid now.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:53 pm

The Game Collection is selling some WiiU games cheaper (but not really cheap) this weekend.  I bought DK Tropical Freeze for £25 and Wind Waker for £30.  Thought about Smash Bros for £25 but resisted.

I'd echo what kerr said on ZombiU - I really enjoyed it, it did something different  with the zombie genre.  It is also partly set on my walk to work, past Buckingham Palace, which added something to it for me!  Easy to pick up for a fiver too, new
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:04 pm

I still need to get Zombi U!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Game collection is worth watching.. in a 3day sale I got Kirbys paintbrush and Mario party 10 for 19.99 each new...
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down