The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

4 posters

Go down

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Empty Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:13 pm

The release is so close now and today brings with it a rather good launch trailer!

Always fun to look back at the series before moving forward Smile
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Empty Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by cal_el Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:04 am

Made a start on this last night and it has blown me away. 

The opening is intentionally restrictive on the player treading similar cutscene heavy ground as the previous games. However it is so tense, brutal and gripping that you can't help but get wrapped up in it. There are also several things introduced in the prologue that have me questioning what is really going on but for now I am happy just to enjoy the ride.

Then you come to the first full mission of the game which gives you an area of Afghanistan, some basic equipment and a horse. It then tells you do it your way within the 3 in-game days time limit. 

Fuck me, this game is awesome. 

The newer systems they implemented in Ground Zeroes are there but more refined and are being used to their full potential. I mainly stayed on the critical path for the first mission but I ended up taking out a few outposts, exploring abandoned towns and the wilderness to get those important vantage points on key locations and supplies on my way through. Overall I took my time and was rewarded with a good rank for completing the mission.

It is weird to be given so much freedom in a Metal Gear game and it really works. Part of the thrill is running recon on where you need to go, planning out your path and then trying to execute it. There is a lot of variety at play on the map too, instantly improving upon the relative flatness of Ground Zeroes' military base setting. 

I'm hoping to spend some time messing around with the interlocking game mechanics next time I play (in a day or two Sad) in the hopes of making some cool stuff happen. For now though I am very, very impressed.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Empty Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by cal_el Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:25 am

Am I the only person playing MGSV???
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:45 pm

I may pick it up at some point but not for a while. I'm actually more tempted by Mad Max at the moment, I'm hearing good things about that from those who're playing it.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:43 pm

megablast16 wrote:I may pick it up at some point but not for a while. I'm actually more tempted by Mad Max at the moment, I'm hearing good things about that from those who're playing it.
Mad Max is on my buy it when it goes cheap list.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:33 pm

This has actually gone from zero interest to a purchase when it is cheaper down the line.  There is just something about it that hasnt made me desperate to play it. 

Mad Max on the other hand, the game I went for, is great!
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:07 am

This is the MGSV thread and I don't want to hijack it so this will be my last comment on it in this thread, but I was watching some Mad Max gameplay videos the weekend and it does look good.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:02 pm

cal_el wrote:Am I the only person playing MGSV???

Also playing it. My first MGS game. It's incredible.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down