The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'PT' Demo on PSN

+4
cal_el
aaroncupboard
MarkySharky
sorenlorensen
8 posters

Go down

'PT' Demo on PSN Empty 'PT' Demo on PSN

Post by sorenlorensen Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Apologies if this was discussed on the NG forum before it's demise but has anyone played the PT demo? I tried it last night and it was one of the scariest game experiences I've had in years. In fact, I couldn't get to the end (it was 1am ish and I figured further playing wouldn't help me get to sleep!).

Give me hordes of zombies and I'm fine - a bit of psychological terror and babies crying and in a gibbering wreck! Loved how the corridor looked like it was straight out of the original Resident Evil .
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

'PT' Demo on PSN Empty Re: 'PT' Demo on PSN

Post by MarkySharky Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm assuming everyone knows what game this relates to...?
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Also found it bloody scary too.  But it also eventually became quite frustrating as the puzzles became more and more obscure.

Watched the final reveal online in the end, I am intrigued.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 pm

MarkySharky wrote:I'm assuming everyone knows what game this relates to...?
Well, I do Smile
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:28 pm

I still need to finish it and for what it is P.T. is brilliant. I would say it is one of the best games I have played this year!

The only shame is that it can be so obtuse at times it detracts from another wise superb experience. Although I am guessing a lot of the more difficult and random solutions are designed to promote discussion online. Which as the past couple of days have shown has worked really well for them!

Spoilers for those living under a rock:
I'm really looking forward to Silent Hills now Smile which is awesome because I have never been interested in the series until this point.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:30 pm

I think the involvement of Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima should be interesting. 

I believe that Hideo Kojima didnt expect people to complete PT as quickly as they did.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:16 pm

I have the demo downloading ... I like a good scare so hope its as good as people have told me
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:32 pm

If you have a PS Camera have that setup so it records your voice a long with game footage. I guarantee it will make for a few good laughs later Very Happy
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 pm

I dont have one but I was tempted a shop near me is selling 2 second hand ones for £25 each .....   I would have grabbed one but after 3 years my daughters 3DS has died (its due to a fault some of them develop ....still looks great from the outside) so spent up ordering a replacment...Like to teach her if she looks after her stuff and it breaks I will always try to help her... if it had broke from misstreatment she would have got the tough stance
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Enjoyed it to start with, also had a couple of jumpy WTF moments. However, it didn't take too long before frustration set in and I still haven't finished it. 

I haven't read if it's likely to be similar to the game it represents or whether it's just some obscure viral mind-fuck to spread the word. If the former it could be interesting (albeit equally frustrating), if the latter, it certainly was a genius move on the part of developers.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Bloody hell this is scary, and I'm playing it now, when still daylight. 

At first, I thought this was brilliant. It really built up dread. 

But now I'm frustrated, and I can't work out what to do, and I'm just walking round in a loop. Not quite sure what to do.

Although, I love how it has changed things on each loop. And it has been frightening.

EDIT: SPOILER: 

I'm up to a bit with a refrigerator hanging from the ceiling. This bit has been the same on about three different loops. (I've had a bunch of scares though - would love to tell them once more of us have completed playing it.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:13 am

I wouldn't bother fretting to much about trying to solve it. Just try and think outside of the box a bit and pay attention to the changes in the environment. If you really are stuck just look it up online. I've done that for a couple of bits.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:50 am

Well I decided to go watch a few videos, and I had different things happen in my demo, compared to what the video showed, although most of it was the same. I decided to just watch the ending though, and glad I did, as I don't think that payoff is worth the struggle of trying to work it out on your own (especially if you now know that it is a Silent Hill playable teaser, that loses impact).
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I played the demo the other day, first off it's a great way to tease a new game. As for the demo itself I found it very creepy if a bit too cryptic at times. SPOILER ALERT. That foetus in the sink freaked me out!
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I've been having a giggle at this today!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Something I've thought before, when Silence of the  Lambs and Blair Witch Project were released at the the cinema (to media hysteria), is do viewers who are aware of how scary something is supposed to be  heighten the effect of the jump scares with their anticipation? Is that taking place with PT ?

That being said, I was bloody scared at PT  Embarassed
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:35 pm

I disagree with that theory. Personally, when someone says something is really scary, I really don't believe them, because I have found in most experiences, the item in question hasn't really been that scary at all. I think scares are such a personal thing though - what freaks out one person may not register for someone else, and then vice versa.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Things like slasher and serial killer movies don't scare me at all, or zombie films and the like come to think of it. It's more ghosts and haunted house stuff that gets me, I recently saw The Conjuring for example and that really freaked me out. affraid
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm

You see, I went to see that because of the really good word of mouth the film got, and how scary it was, yet walked away thinking it was a bit boring, and seen it all before. Sinister, on the other hand, is probably the scariest horror movie I've seen for years. Watch that one if you want ghostly goings on Megablast  Razz
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Finally got round to trying this. Whilst it looks nice it mostly sucks.

It was creepy, yes but if any game that comes from this has such random puzzles then I'm not remotely interested.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Wolvieware wrote:You see, I went to see that because of the really good word of mouth the film got, and how scary it was, yet walked away thinking it was a bit boring, and seen it all before. Sinister, on the other hand, is probably the scariest horror movie I've seen for years. Watch that one if you want ghostly goings on Megablast  Razz

Yeah I have seen Sinister, I enjoyed it but actually preferred The Conjuring myself. Oh well each to their own I suppose.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum