The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much is too much for a season pass ?

5 posters

Go down

How much is too much for a season pass ? Empty How much is too much for a season pass ?

Post by kerr9000 Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Well Arkham Knights Season pass has just been announced as having the price point of £32.99.

How much is too much for a season pass ? Th?id=JN.JL3QLQiXf%2bItre7FIfgOiw&pid=15

I think now is as good a time as any to talk about how much is too much when it comes to season passes. So first do I buy season passes? Not usually no. I have however paid for the PS4 Season passes for Resogun, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation and Watchdogs all of them during half price sales. Most of the time when it starts going over 10quid all I can think is well for 20quid I can buy a whole new different probably good second hand game for that kind of cash. How do the rest of you feel is 32.99 too much, if not what is too much?
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

How much is too much for a season pass ? Empty Re: How much is too much for a season pass ?

Post by Wolvieware Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 pm

I love season passes and have bought many. They are clearly good value for money and even more so if you get a discounted pass. So the argument is once again what is personally acceptable or an individual's own sense of value for money. Fortunately I think most passes are good value, even the more pricier ones, as you generally have a good idea of what's included in them and sometimes get season pass only content too. 

I'm not sure of the Batman season pass as a lot of Arkham DLC is challenge maps - a whole portion of the game I ignore. So it's not for me. But I did buy Battlefield 4 Premium at £40 and did not regret it. 

Similarly the Lego Batman 3 pass is only £12 and astonishing value. 

I'm currently considering the Drive Club pass too. 

It just comes down to weighing up the pros and cons. Probably £20 is a fair average but it depends on content.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

How much is too much for a season pass ? Empty Re: How much is too much for a season pass ?

Post by megablast16 Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I saw the price of the Arkham Knight season pass and posted about it in the Arkham Knight thread. I'll repeat what I said there though, £33 is ridiculous for a season pass whatever's in it.

The price of season passes seems to be slowly creeping up in general, they used to mostly be £15 then some at £20 started to appear, now there's a £33 one. They'll soon cost as much as the game itself at this rate.

I rarely buy them anyway, and at these prices never will, but to answer the question over £20 is definitely too much.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm

I also dislike it when there is a season pass but it only covers some of the DLC.. that is annoying as heck.

I do buy them at times as I have said above but I will make sure that either Ive exhausted the game or the pass is on sale. 

I brought the season pass for Dead Rising 3 when it was dropped to about 8 or 10quid around Xmas but that didn't include the Ultra Dead rising 3 super turbo edition mode thing that was another 8 quid all on its own so I thought id finish all the included stuff first and then think about it... I have finished 3 out of 4 of the dead rising 3 add on's but I am stuck on the 4th and thats when I noticed the turbo ultra add on was on sale right now for 4quid though so I just  purchased it.

I guess you do just have to weigh up what its worth to you and not buy it until its available at that price point.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Of course, if people vote with their wallet and this Season Pass fails then they won't do one at this price point again.

The value of a season pass comes down to what is in it and this one doesn't seem to have any more than the usual £16 package so it seems oddly overpriced. I do like single player DLC but I'm not going to buy the SP for that, I'll buy it individually, probably when it's on sale.

The season pass concept benefits the developer because it's money in their pocket up front and on the whole is quite a nice concept for them with all the risk being on the part of the buyer - you don't know for sure that you're buying something of quality until you get it, sometimes months after you've parted with your cash.

A final point, I also get suspicious that stuff is being carved off the final game and then being shipped as DLC. That's just plain wrong, but is hard to prove so is rarely challenged.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah that worries me as well, that its stuff that is intentionally held back just to make more redies .... I have to admit though if I have spare money and one is on sale its kind of nice to buy a season pass or something like it and know I will randomly get something latter when I might not have cash.

I brought both Mario Kart 8 DLC pieces as a bundle  and that just released a few days ago..and I was skint and bored when that dropped so it was kind of cool
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:33 am

I don't think there's any doubt that with the big franchise games at least some content that could be included in the main game is instead held back and drip fed to gamer's as DLC or season pass content.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:40 am

I'm getting increasingly put off by season passes. None of the current gen games I've bought have had good value for money passes for me. Gone are the days of getting nice big chunks of content like Borderlands 2. Which had hands down the best value for money season pass of all time. Instead it is just smaller bits and bobs, character skins or perhaps a new area to explore.

The current thing that is really annoying me though is when season pass content is cut down in size or cancelled altogether!

I will be staying clear of the Arkham Knight season pass. £32.99 for a bunch of challenge maps I am not going to play, no thanks!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:23 am

The cost of the Arkham Knight season pass does seem to have focused people minds, I haven't heard a single person say they'll be happy to pay that price for the content you get. They either aren't getting the season pass full stop or they'll wait until it's cheaper, or even wait for an Arkham Knight GOTY edition.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm

megablast16 wrote:... or even wait for an Arkham Knight GOTY edition.
Nope, I can't do that. I want to play AK the minute it comes out.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down