The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The last film you watched Thread

+5
cal_el
megablast16
MarkySharky
aaroncupboard
kerr9000
9 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by Wolvieware Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Saw Ghostbusters tonight and thought it was brilliant! Absolutely out and out full on entertainment from start to finish. It's a full on comedy, and one of the funniest films this year. Chris Hemsworth pretty much steals the show, and the actress playing Patty was also really good. But they are all brilliant. I love the nods to the classic movies, but I think this was far and away an improvement on those originals and all the better for it.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by Wolvieware Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:53 pm

Saw a couple of movies this weekend:

The Shallows - the problem with shark movies is that behemoth called Jaws. Unfortunately, I doubt any shark movie will come close to that. But this is one of the better ones. It's miles better than the straight to DVD shark shlock that seems to be big business these days, and this tells a realistic and engaging story, even if its a bit by the numbers. It lets itself down at the end though with a bit of a blockbustery, CGI mis-step.

Pete's Dragon - a very nice movie. Again, a very basic movie. The first half hour was boring as hell, though, as it set things up. There's very little dialogue, and just simple interaction scenes between a child actor and CGI character, and it was just a bit slow and dull. The CGI however is very very good. It does pick up towards the end of the movie, and overall it was a nice simple family film, that reminded me of 80s style action movies that were aimed at kids, a bit like ET.

BTW: The reason I'm seeing so many movies nowadays is not because I'm suddenly rich, but I've picked up one of the Unlimited cards that allows you to go see as many movies as you like. For my first month, I have to say, it's been great value! 8 movies, at £12 a go, but only cost me £18.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Slow West - Decent enough with some funny moments, maybe could have done with being a few minutes longer.
The November Man - Better than I thought it would be, enjoyable enough couple of hours.
The Last Heist - Absolutely awful, switched off after 10-15mins. How this got made I do not know.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:41 am

Saw Jason Bourne last night and really liked it. It's typical Bourne stuff and exactly as expected. Story was a bit slight this time but I liked how modern it felt. Some good car chases. Top stuff.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 am

Watched a few more films this weekend: 

The Secret Life of Pets - a decent animation that does for pets what Toy Story did for toys. The jokes about what pets get up too and their inner thoughts on human behaviour are very funny. But when the animals go on a more standard adventure through NYC it gets a bit more standard kids fare. 

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - a mockumentary on the pop industry. Fairly funny but a far cry from Spinal Tap. It was enjoyable but a bit too predictable and had lots of cameos from people I don't really know.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Cockneys vs Zombies.

Thought it was damn enjoyable.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Saw Sausage Party and confess to being disappointed. When I first heard of the film and saw the first trailer it was like - this movie is perfect! How had anyone not thought of this before. But having now watched it, the initial premise with funny puns and clever ideas was let down by its juvenile mind. There is unnecessary abundance of swearing and I just got bored of listening to profanities rather than dialogue. The constant references to sex and drugs is just wearying. And it overshadows the actually funny or clever moments - like a meat loaf singing I Would Do Anything For Love. I realise this makes me sound very Daily Mail but it was a real negative aspect of an otherwise good movie. It was all just a bit too much bad taste.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Results - Good cast (Kevin Corrigan, Guy Pearce and Cobie Smulders) but just pretty much goes nowhere and stumbles along.

Convenience - English film about two guys who pretend to work in an overnight petrol station to rob the place. Decent enough watch and doesn't out stay it's welcome.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - Jason Segel playes a stoner. Again decent but very over the top on the sentiment.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Saw Cafe Society, the new Woody Allen movie. It was ok, pretty much standard Woody Allen stuff but the 1920s Golden Hollywood setting was fun. But the plot was a pretty standard love story, but just ended very suddenly leaving no real resolution.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:33 am

Dan in Real Life - Steve Carrell falls in love with his brothers girlfriend, quite enjoyed this one.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:47 am

Saw Bridget Jones Baby last night. It was decent popcorn entertainment. Reasonably funny but completely predictable. It did feel like a sequel that came too late - Colin Firth looked really old.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Two Days, One Night - Took a little time to get into this but I'm glad that I stuck with it. A French/Belguim film about a woman about to lose her job who tries to convince her colleagues to hold a vote to keep her.

Black Dynamite - Amusing but not as funny as I thought it was going to be
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Monsters Vs Aliens - Dreamworks film, was OK. Nothing spectacular.

Hector - Peter Mullan as a homeless person heading to a hostel at Christmas time. Good acting and decent but was a bit meh.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Bait - A grim English film about two women and a loan shark.

Megamind - Good use of music and decent enough.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 pm

I watched Raiders! on Netflix last week and it has really stuck with me.

It is a documentary about the lives of a group of kids who decided to do a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Arc because they loved the film so much. It is focused around them coming together to film the one sequence they never had the means to film when they were younger, the big airplane fight and explosion scene. 

It is well worth watching if your an Indie fan!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:24 pm

I was going to watch Raiders last week but didn't get round to it.

I remember reading about them a couple of years ago, didn't it take them something like thirty years between the start to the end of the film?
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Saw Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. Despite the title not really for children! Quite a dark and scary tale from Tim Burton. It was just a touch too predictable and by the numbers, and despite the promising premise not much fun. Disappointing.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:21 am

dste01 wrote:I was going to watch Raiders last week but didn't get round to it.

I remember reading about them a couple of years ago, didn't it take them something like thirty years between the start to the end of the film?
Yep and the film does its best to track their lives and fill in the blanks. So it ends up being equal parts the story of this weird and amazing piece of fandom. But also the story of the lives of a group of friends and how things grow and change over time.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:03 pm

I've now watched Raiders, really enjoyed it. It was good how they didn't cover up anything like when they were discussing the violence and divorces of their childhoods and the breakdown in the friendships. Was also rooting for them with the final shot.

Also watched Airheads - Haven't seen this in probably a good twenty year now. Not as funny as I remember but still enjoyable.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:59 am

Saw The Magnificent Seven. It wasn't what I expected. The trailers make it seem like a light hearted, action packed western. Actually it's a old fashioned style western. Lots of beautiful vistas, slow camera shots and not much action until the finale. It was refreshing to watch something that felt so real.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 am

On the topic of Westerns, I watched Slow West via Netflix this week.

It stars Michael Fassbender and is quite 'Cohen-esque' which I liked. Quirky at times with some intense and often harsh shootouts. 

Recommend it if you like the Cohen brothers films.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Just watched Inferno at the cinema. 

Think I remember why I stopped reading Dan Brown books. Yawn.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Saw Trolls this afternoon. A sickly saccharine rainbow of a movie that's half music video half irritating kids movie. A constant splurge of colour, glitter and pop songs. The trolls don't so much as act, as just sing and dance through a story. There were a couple of funny moments featuring a grumpy troll but otherwise avoid.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm

I watched Mascots on Netflix last night and really like it. It is a comedy semi-mockumentary movie (similar in style to Modern Family) about a global competition for the best Mascot. Lots of funny moments, great lines and visual humour. Not perfect but great if your in the mood for a laugh.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:37 pm

The Other Guys.

Starts off quite funny with The Rock and Samuel L Jackson and then after that goes pretty crap. A couple of humorous bits but that's it.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next