The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The last film you watched Thread

+5
cal_el
megablast16
MarkySharky
aaroncupboard
kerr9000
9 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by MarkySharky Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:18 pm

I watched the new SpongeBob movie at the cinema on Sunday. It was mental! Love me some SpongeBob!
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by megablast16 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:29 am

Nightcrawler on Blu-ray. Excellent look at the seedy business of freelance cameramen trawling night time LA looking to film road traffic accidents and crime scenes and sell the grisly footage to local news networks for their breakfast shows. Jake Gyllenhaal is great as a morally repugnant cameraman who'll literally stop at nothing to get the best footage.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Watched Divergent, whcih was mediocre at best - a cross between Harry Potter and the Hunger Games.

Watched Rush last night.  James Hunt was a my first sporting hero (and local to the part of Surrey I was living in at the time) so I was looking forward to this. The script was a bit hokey at times, as with Chris Hemsworth's accent but the driving sequences were great.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Saw Cinderella today and it was ok. A very faithful adaptation, but because it was so well known it was all just a bit boring and hum drum. Helena Bonham Carter livened it up a little as Fairy Godmother but it was too traditional to be exciting. I actually think including some songs like in the original cartoon might have improved it and given it a bit of extra weight.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Saw Pompeii last night. Absolute shit.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Watched Fast & The Furious 6 and 7 at the weekend.

Simple OTT entertainment and a touching send off for Paul Walker.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Saw The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water today and it was ok. I swear it's a movie for people who are high. The amount of trippy imagery throughout is eye boggling. Unfortunately the storyline is a bit strung out and jokes don't really hit the mark. What did impress me was the animation and 3D. From its traditional cartoon style to live action to stop motion to high quality CGI its a well created movie.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Saw Fast and Furious 7 tonight, and really enjoyed it. Its OTT action pretty much from the start. And its great action. The middle set piece is pure cinematic joy. Sadly, I think the film really lacked a strong story. The franchise is hardly noted for its story, but when even this time round it seems like no effort was put into making it, you know its reached a new low. Most of the film revolves car chases and blowing things up while going after a maguffin FOR NO APPARENT REASON. It's utterly pointless. At least the previous films tried something with undercover cops, and bank heists and things. So that was a little disappointing, but just enjoying the cars and hi-jinks is enough entertainment value, with a nice little send off for Paul Walker at the end.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:14 am

I have to agree with Wolvie about Fast and Furious 7!  I really enjoyed the film and thought the action was absolutely brilliant, but the story was just...pathetic.  However, Statham was a pretty decent bad guy and the send-off was perfectly judged.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm attempting to watch all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies again before I watch Age of Ultron next week. So yesterday me and the wife sat down and watched Iron Man and Iron Man 2 because that's how things fit together best timeline wise.

It has been a while since I've watched either film and while both are still really good (I am one of the rare people who really enjoys Iron Man 2) the first film is really starting to show its age a bit. Still it was great to see how well they started teasing things in it, not just for the second film but for the wider MCU setting. I remember losing my shit at the cinema when I saw the end credits scene. It promised a wealth of possibilities that has since been delivered on in spades. 

The second film is a fun ride which focuses on the destructive side of Tony Stark's personality and the idea of him needed to leave a lasting legacy which is a thing they set up in the first film. I've never understood why people don't like this one and say it is hard to follow. It is a simple story that raises the stakes for the characters while moving things on from the first film. 

Should hopefully be watching The Incredible Hulk tonight Smile
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Robot and Frank.

Wasn't quite what I was expecting but still liked it.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening of Avengers: Age of Ultron today (introduced by none other than Joss himself, which caused a little bit of geek love spill out). I wouldn't want to spoil anything, as I'm sure many here will be going to see it, but I really enjoyed it. It's not quite as good as the first one, granted, but seeing that many superheroes on screen is still an exciting prospect, and they even cram in more of them this time, with many cameos throughout. And because this is Joss Whedon, the characters are still just nailed, and all get their time and development. Although that said, the finale was a bit messy, with a slightly anticlimactic ending, and just too many characters that some do get lost in the mix at certain moments. But overall, another funny, exciting and grand action movie, that promises much for the future.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:59 am

Wolvieware wrote:I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening of Avengers: Age of Ultron today (introduced by none other than Joss himself, which caused a little bit of geek love spill out). I wouldn't want to spoil anything, as I'm sure many here will be going to see it, but I really enjoyed it. It's not quite as good as the first one, granted, but seeing that many superheroes on screen is still an exciting prospect, and they even cram in more of them this time, with many cameos throughout. And because this is Joss Whedon, the characters are still just nailed, and all get their time and development. Although that said, the finale was a bit messy, with a slightly anticlimactic ending, and just too many characters that some do get lost in the mix at certain moments. But overall, another funny, exciting and grand action movie, that promises much for the future.
Watching it on Thursday and I can't wait!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:49 am

Loved Avengers: Age of Ultron! It is the most like an actual comic book movie Marvel have come out with. 

It is structured like an event comic and plays out in a similar fashion. Smart, fun and does a lot to make the MCU feel more cohesive after everyone split off to do their own thing in the phase 2 films.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm going to see it the weekend. Avengers Assemble is my favourite Marvel movie so I'm well excited to see Ultron.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:59 pm

50 shades of Grey.... it was utter pap.. so nothing happens at all till 42 minutes into the film and by the end of the film they've had sex like twice , he has tied her hands up with a silk tie and then some cuffs, spanked her ass bear handed and with one crop and thats it... and this film is set over weeks if not months ..and women went crazy over this. Ive done more than that on an off night...

boring dull crap really cant see the fuss.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 pm

I saw Age of Ultron last week and loved it... Last night me and the fiancée went to see Blade Runner the Final Cut in the cinema, it was great to see a classic film I grew up on up on the big screen.  In a few weeks we are also going to see a double bill of MadMax 1 and 2... have to admit I often find seeing these classics on a big screen more fun than the modern stuff.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun May 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Some guy who kills people - Decent enough film, missed the last five blooming minutes though, grrrrr.
Wreck-It Ralph - enjoyable but sadly pretty predictable.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed May 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road tonight. For a 2 hour chase movie it's a non stop tour de force of relentless action. It does not let up with the car chase. That is the be all and end all of the movie with minimal dialogue or story. So it is a remarkable achievement that the film does not get boring. It's visually stunning and consistently brings new elements into the mix. It's a great movie. It's a shame that some of it is so warped and freaky which didn't appeal to me but everything else was top notch.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm looking forward to watching Mad Max. Never saw the original films so I am looking forward to going into it relatively blind.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 pm

I've never seen them either so can say you don't need to to watch this film. I didn't find the Mad Max world that appealing though. I might be intrigued to stick the old films on my rental list.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu May 14, 2015 12:41 am

I just got back from the cinema I went to see a double bill of MadMax and MadMax 2... was awesome seeing them on the big screen... thats the good side the bad side is I have to go see pitch perfect 2 Friday with the fiancée.  Not sure when I will see Road Fury.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue May 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road last night and loved it! 

It is a beautifully presented, paced and structured action movie. Full to the brim with post-apocalyptical trappings, unique characters, ideas and meaning. It is easy watching if you want it to be or an incredibly deep pro-feminist critique of macho action movies and how female characters in fiction are generally poorly handled.

I also loved that the film doesn't talk down to you. Exposition focused dialogue is almost non-existent leaving it is up to you to read between the lines and connect the dots. It is a wholly unique film that blew me away.

I will be hunting down and watching the original three Mad Max movies!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Mad Max.  Absolute, mental carnage from beginning to end.  Incredibly impressive and ridiculously enjoyable.  Loved every single second of it.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon May 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Saw Tomorrowland: A World Beyond tonight. It's unabashedly retro sci fi, for good and ill. For good in that there is a permanent sense of wonder and discovery to the adventure. And the bad being the overly sentimental speeches on saving the world. The film also takes right until the conclusion to actually explain what is going on. It has fun and adventure, but could have been a bit slicker.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next