The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all gone quiet again (refrain)

+5
MarkySharky
megablast16
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
cal_el
9 posters

Go down

It's all gone quiet again (refrain) Empty It's all gone quiet again (refrain)

Post by cal_el Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Things have been quiet around here recently which is always a shame. I fully acknowledge that me spending less time on here and waffling less about games due to my other commitments is partly to blame Razz So I am going to make an effort to do/say/post more.

I also want to throw the floor open to you guys. This is not a new member drive thing, that's not what we need right now. This is instead a "What do we want to do/see as regulars of this humble little forum?" thing. 

Ideas off the top of my head are:

• Reviving the Game of the Month Club - with less convoluted nominating/voting rules! 
  • Having a forum member be a dedicated organiser of community gaming events - both digital and in the real world. OOOOO!
  • Critical Thought - once a month a forum member writes a lengthy post about a game and we chat about it
  • Debates - divide the forum up into For/Against sides and put our best internet argument hats on. We could have the creator of the topic of the debate decide which side wins or put it to a vote.
  • Doing a Podcast - because podcasts are cool
  • Finding Badger and getting him to come back - because I miss him!

Any other ideas?

Last edited by cal_el on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned up the intro a bit!)
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

It's all gone quiet again (refrain) Empty Re: It's all gone quiet again (refrain)

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:06 am

Or we can keep going as we are Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

It's all gone quiet again (refrain) Empty Re: It's all gone quiet again (refrain)

Post by Wolvieware Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:55 am

I'm up for game of the month club again as that was fun. 

I would love the idea of community events, but when we struggle to even get the numbers for an online game of Rocket League, how much involvement are we going to get? I understand we are all busy so its not a dig, but RL was a free game we all have and we still can't arrange a proper multiplayer session. 

And the same stands for lengthy forum posts I doubt we all have the time. The forum is good for a quick post. 

And it would be great to have badger back. I had a look and noticed he had removed himself from my friends list. However I have his email address so I sent him an email a few days ago but have not heard back.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Wolvieware wrote:I'm up for game of the month club again as that was fun. 

I would love the idea of community events, but when we struggle to even get the numbers for an online game of Rocket League, how much involvement are we going to get? I understand we are all busy so its not a dig, but RL was a free game we all have and we still can't arrange a proper multiplayer session. 

And the same stands for lengthy forum posts I doubt we all have the time. The forum is good for a quick post. 

And it would be great to have badger back. I had a look and noticed he had removed himself from my friends list. However I have his email address so I sent him an email a few days ago but have not heard back.
With the community stuff that's why I think we need someone to take charge of it. It would be a lot of work initially figuring out when everyone is free but I think we could get a few regular gaming sessions on the go. 

As for Badger it looks like Badger watch 2016 is on! Smile

EDIT: for the lengthy forum posts it would only be for those who want to write one. Also people would have a whole month to come up with something, if not longer if we took a casual approach to it.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:33 am

I would argue that we do need a new member drive. 

I mean no disrespect to anyone here as you're all good guys (well most of you anyway tongue) but given that it's been the same very few of us over the last few years we pretty much all know each others general taste in gaming, like/dislikes as well as our personality quirks (overtly positive/negative etc). 

That is hardly a great inspiration for creating conversation, how can it be when you already have a good idea of what any given member may say on a particular topic/game before even reading the related thread.

I would say fresh blood is needed and in abundance too, where those new members would come from, fuck only knows.

As for the community events, given our limited membership, time availability and general mismatch in gaming tastes I would say that community events, whilst a great idea, is a huge waste of fucking time and will long remain a pipedream. Wolvie mentioning Rocket League is a prime example.

Regarding the general quietness around the place, given that (aside from a very few games) 2015 has been a piss poor year for gaming and looking at the holiday release schedule doesn't inspire any hope for a turnaround, is it really any surprise that there's been fuck all to talk about? 

It's rare for myself to have little to say about gaming and anything I would contribute is likely to be an extended version of shit I've already said on twitter etc so there really isn't anything else for me to say (shocking I know Laughing). I suspect I'm not alone.

Apologies if any of the above sounds a little harsh, hardly provides constructive criticism, and/or appears to rain on your parade but then again, I've never been known for sugar-coating shit.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:31 am

PorcusHawk wrote:I would argue that we do need a new member drive. 

I mean no disrespect to anyone here as you're all good guys (well most of you anyway tongue) but given that it's been the same very few of us over the last few years we pretty much all know each others general taste in gaming, like/dislikes as well as our personality quirks (overtly positive/negative etc). 

That is hardly a great inspiration for creating conversation, how can it be when you already have a good idea of what any given member may say on a particular topic/game before even reading the related thread.

I would say fresh blood is needed and in abundance too, where those new members would come from, fuck only knows.

As for the community events, given our limited membership, time availability and general mismatch in gaming tastes I would say that community events, whilst a great idea, is a huge waste of fucking time and will long remain a pipedream. Wolvie mentioning Rocket League is a prime example.

Regarding the general quietness around the place, given that (aside from a very few games) 2015 has been a piss poor year for gaming and looking at the holiday release schedule doesn't inspire any hope for a turnaround, is it really any surprise that there's been fuck all to talk about? 

It's rare for myself to have little to say about gaming and anything I would contribute is likely to be an extended version of shit I've already said on twitter etc so there really isn't anything else for me to say (shocking I know Laughing). I suspect I'm not alone.

Apologies if any of the above sounds a little harsh, hardly provides constructive criticism, and/or appears to rain on your parade but then again, I've never been known for sugar-coating shit.

I'd argue that we need a strong and engaging forum before trying to draw in anymore new members. I'd also say, give us that extended version of what you put up on twitter! Twitter is fragmented snippets of thought, here you can go to town.

For now I'll start working on the new Game of the Month Club ideas, keeping the games intentionally short and smaller experiences in the run up to Christmas.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 am

Blimey it's quiet on here lately, especially the gaming section. Just a handful of posts all week, and most of them mine. It's become the digital equivalent of talking to yourself!  scratch
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:07 pm

PorcusHawk wrote:I would argue that we do need a new member drive. 

I agree with this totally. This is why I hardly ever post these days.

We know each other too well and it feels like there's no point in posting because you are 99% sure what each person's response will be.

I'm also only playing Destiny really still so not much else for me to discuss and no interest on the forum in it.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 am

I got a new job and have been trying to balance that with everything else. My epilepsy meds have always made me tired so actually working on top of that has made me slip in to some power naps the likes of which have never been seen. The hope is once I get more used to it I will be posting more.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Just life happening at the minute.

I'm sure it'll get better over winter with stuff like Fallout coming out.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 am

Moozo wrote:Just life happening at the minute.

I'm sure it'll get better over winter with stuff like Fallout coming out.
That's what I'm counting on! Had plans to do a bunch of big topics and things but I am super busy with other things at the moment  Sad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:37 pm

It really has gone quiet on here. I've been on holiday for the last three weeks. I expected to come home to lots to catch up with, but really there's nothing. Only a couple of posts in the last week! What's causing people to not tune in?
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm

It's the catch 22 at the moment, no posts equals no people and no people equals no posts.

Personally I don't feel bothered to post much at the moment as no one responds.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:08 pm

yeah it is a bit slow at the moment Sad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Is there a way for you to blanket-email all members?
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Moozo wrote:Is there a way for you to blanket-email all members?
I can have a look into it, what do you have in mind?

Or should I send everyone an email telling them we're not dead Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:56 am

Things have picked up a bit over the last week or so to be fair, although the site is still far from bustling.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I am guilty of not posting as much as I used to. This is mainly down to me playing less games than I used to. This year I've only bought Batman and I have found that to be a disappointment (damn that Batmobile and all those who thought it was a good idea to add driving to the game!). I'm not into Halo or Fallout so there's only really CoD for me to look forward to and those games rarely light up the conversation on this forum. Next year though.....Deus Ex and Uncharted!
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Still a bit quiet here. Where's TPM? Anyone on Twitter want to message him and see if he's just lost in a game somewhere?
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:01 am

Wolvieware wrote:Still a bit quiet here. Where's TPM? Anyone on Twitter want to message him and see if he's just lost in a game somewhere?
I've recently seen him raging about Rocket League again Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:54 am

It's getting worse now, it's down to 2 maybe 3 people occasionally making comments, many former regular users haven't contributed for ages, not even Cal. A lot's been happening in gaming over the last 6 months, new hardware announcements and launches, big game releases, but nothing is being discussed, it's like a ghost town. I'm not having a go at anyone, we've all got stuff going on, it's just sad. And so, with that in mind, this is probably my last post on the site. I might visit from time to time to see if anything's happening, but it's pointless making comments anymore.  Crying or Very sad
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Yeah it is sad that this place has gone silent it was always a much more laid back and friendly place compared to a lot of forums
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello.

It is rather quiet round here.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 pm

I am pretty guilty of just forgetting to check in here... I have been putting a lot of effort into my youtube stuff and being there for my daughter round her gcse exams/ studies etc
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 pm

Wow, I cannot believe this is still here.

I wonder what happened to everyone.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum