The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The last film you watched Thread

+5
cal_el
megablast16
MarkySharky
aaroncupboard
kerr9000
9 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by dste01 Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Drinking Buddies with Jake Johnson, Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick.

Was alright when watching but not very memorable once finished.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

The last film you watched Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The last film you watched Thread

Post by kerr9000 Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Some quick bite sized reviews of horror type movies I have watched recently (copied and pasted from my blog to save me time lol)
Bloodshot.. In which a Vampire hired by the US government kills terrorists with double pistols... a wicked fun piece of trash that I would highly recommend to fans of B movies. Its kind of crap and kind of awesome in all the right ways. I would give this 7 out of 10, just bear in mind if you dislike weird B movies you wont like it. Watch it then force people to watch it to see if they enjoy the hilarious cheesy nature of this beast.
Gargoyle (2004)... CIA agents sent to Romania trying to solve a case end up going against a killer Gargoyle... Decent monster effects for the time, but very wooden acting, a few cool parts but basically forgettable. 4 out of 10, I wouldn't bother watching it.
Jacks Back.... A copycat killer is copying the work of Jack The ripper... James Spader keeps this film interesting...without him it would be a piece of crap, but he manages to actually make it a darn enjoyable little half murder mystery half action film. 8 out of 10. Good film to watch with the misses you can enjoy murder and action and she can fawn over 80's James Spader without giving you crap for making her watch a murder filled film.
Hatchet (2006) If you want to watch something that feels like a trashy 80's Friday the 13th Style slasher then this is your film... there are some really amusing bits in it and its not a bad film, but really its just throw away popcorn horror. 6 out of 10... watch it once, enjoy, move on.
The Woods (2006) Ok film a few freaky cool bits in it, the highlight of it really is Bruce Campbell being the main leads dad. If you like Dario Argento sort of stuff you could do a lot worse than give this a watch 6 out of 10, watch it once just to say you did.
Curtains (1983) Six actresses go up to a directors mansion somewhere out in Canada to audition for a movie role... Fair bit of boring periods of not much happening some pointless time killing dialogue. Then eventually creepy stuff happens and they begin to be picked off by a mysterious masked murderer. It wasn't to bad but it feels like its badly in need of a re-edit. Ends on a high note though. 6 out of 10. Watch it to start out a horror filled fun night.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Finally watched The World's End and sadly have to say that I found it to be severely lacking. Love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but at the moment have no desire to watch End again.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 pm

I liked worlds end but... it was easily the weakest of the 3
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:05 pm

I loved World's End (shot up the road from where I live) and have watched it a couple of times (second time was better than the first).
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Saw Spy last night and it was entertaining. It's a James Bond piss take which it does well. It's partially funny but Jason Statham is the comedy stand out! It does drag a bit but overall was just enjoyable and easy watching. Not a patch on the similar Get Smart though.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Just watched Jurassic World and it was so much better than I expected. I didn't think the trailers were that great and I didn't like the idea of custom designed dinosaurs. But actually it delivers a great movie. It's very simple - go to park, stuff goes wrong, dinos chomp, but it ticks the boxes for brainless blockbuster action and fun. The ending in particular is a great dino mash up. Not as brilliant as the perfect original but on par with the sequels.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:41 pm

I completely concur.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Saw Minions tonight and it was ok. They've gone from being the best bit in a mediocre movie to simply starring in a mediocre movie. The film was ridiculously fast paced and energetic that I struggled to keep up. It was utter nonsense, and fairly enjoyable as that, but I'm starting to get a bit sick of minions as they just seem to be everywhere at the moment.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Since posting in here I have seen Jurrasic World, Mad Max fury road, Minions, Poltergeist (the new one), inside out and Tommorow land

I really really didnt like Poltergeist it sucked. I really enjoyed Minions myself it was a good fun family film.  Mad Max fury road was ok but might as well not have been a mad max film, I would rather rewatch 1 or 2 anyday. Tommorowland was pretty cool. Inside out was a good bit of fun.

My favourate of all of them was Jurrasic World though.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 pm

So we watched Kingsman Secret Service the other day and it was fairly good.  Was nice to see some real old school, over the top spy fun but some elements of the film just didnt quite work.  Samuel L Jackson was terrible in the film and some of the action was often too stylistic-making it hard to follow.

Saying that, the humour, likeable main character and Colin Firth on top form made it an enjoyable few hours.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher - Wasn't really impressed that much with the art and the story/plot was meh but at around 85minutes it didn't out stay it's welcome.

Grabbers - Really enjoyed this. Shame that The Worlds End wasn't more like this as in my opinion this was funny.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Saw Ted 2 up town today, and was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought that the concept might have been a bit stretched by a second film. And while it hits pretty much identical story beats as the first film, its got enough laughs to get over that, and the few clumpy moments. But when Ted 2 is on form, its brilliant. There are a lot of laughs, a lot of outrageous moments, and so many movie references there's no way I managed to pick up on them all. The finale is a fantastic pop culture show down, and other scenes are lifted from other movies wholesale. Much better than I expected.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 am

It Follows on Blu-ray. A rare example of a horror movie that lives up to the hype. Creepy, original and doesn't rely totally on cheap jump scares, although there are a couple of those too. 

Apart from all it's other strengths it's worth watching just for it's excellent synth score. Bit of trivia, the guy who did the music for It Follows also did the music for Fez and you can notice some similarities on some tracks.

Last edited by megablast16 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Finally watched Thor: The Dark World. Thought it was pants in all honesty and might actually be my least favourite Marvel film.

Also watched Iron Man: Rise of the Technovores which was a decent enough watch.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Life After Beth which unfortunately I found to be rather pants.

Really good cast and a film that I thought I would like but before the first hour was up I was bored which was a shame.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Saw Terminator Genisys tonight, and it was neither as good as I hoped, but not as bad as expected, or as reviews might anticipate. The film starts strong, but gets more wishy washy as the film goes on, becoming muddled with its own plot, and fizzling out with poor action scenes. But it starts oh so very well. There was a clear focus, and inspiration for this movie, and then at a particular point, you can see this was lost by the film makers. The film's high point is in the first 30 minutes, when the characters use time travel to go back to 1984, and see classic moments from the first two films, full of great nods, but just different enough. And the recreation of young Arnie is just superb. If they had kept up with this, it would have been fantastic. Instead, if splits off on its own timeline and sadly loses it.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Saw Ant-Man tonight and loved it! It was really good. It was quirky and funny. The film was quite simple, but the lack of the world being in jeopardy and on the brink of destruction to a more personal story was much needed in the Marvel Universe. It helped to have brilliant everyman Paul Rudd in it, and he brings most of the humour. Some of the knowing lines, particularly a reference to the Avengers, were just inspired, and reference some of the more negative comments about the MU in an amusing and knowing way. There's not much action, really, focusing on a heist mission, but its just enjoyable and goofy.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed Ant-Man too! I liked that it gave you the impression that the MCU is living thing more than the other films have. I liked the setup and references to other movies too. Also the bit towards the end of the heist that had some hidden imagery that gives hints to a much larger Marvel concept which is cool to see. Mainly though it is a great story with a good cast of characters around it. How it weaves in an out of the wider MCU setting also made it feel more comic book like than other movies.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Saw Inside Out tonight and thought it was creatively brilliant, but lacking a little in entertainment. The concepts of seeing the emotions in your head was well realised, and explained some very complex thoughts and emotions in very easy to understand ways. It is very easy to see the comparisons to your own way of thinking and situations, to see how arguments can arise, for example, and how memories work. But storyline wise, it was a little dull, and I was also surprised at how plain the animation was - certainly not the best from Pixar. Overall though, one of their better movies in recent years, as I actually think they have been on a bit of a decline.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:41 am

Watched If Follows last night.  What a gem of a horror film.  The premise was so simple and used to terrifying effect.  It was not scary in the traditional jumpy way, but every moment of the film was filled with an intense dread and it maintained the tension throughout.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Watched Inside Out this evening and loved it. Up there with the best Pixar films in my book. I just loved how the whole film presented emotion and the mind in such a clever and easy to digest way. 

It also may have made me cry a bit....damn you Pixar and your ability to toy with my emotions!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkySharky Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:50 pm

The Gift

Really enjoyable thriller with some 'jumpy' moments too.
MarkySharky
MarkySharky

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuM5NwBf4saIZKIJVsVTrA

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Watched Hector And The Search For Happiness this evening. A great feel good and uplifting movie with Simon Pegg in the lead role. It gets slightly undermined with a "lets pull some made up science out of our arses" bit towards the end, mainly to drive the message of the film home but otherwise it is an interesting and entertaining journey.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Saw Pixels today, and enjoyed it. It's typically Adam Sandler, but stepped up a notch in terms of quality, with a good concept well delivered. It's a tough film to critic, because it is unashamedly fun. It's built to entertain, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but is just fun to watch. It feels like the actors have fun, and its very entertaining. The Pac Man sequence is just brilliant.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next