The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General TV thread

+9
Odyssey
funky phil
megablast16
naughtyrobot
kerr9000
CPC6128
cal_el
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
13 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

General TV thread - Page 4 Empty Re: General TV thread

Post by dste01 Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Recently watched the following:

Last ever couple of episodes of Justified. Crying or Very sad
Vikings season 2
Agent Carter
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun May 03, 2015 12:44 am

Just finished Daredevil and contrary to the many glowing reviews I thought it was utter shit! If by dark and gritty Marvel meant make the show so black you can barely see the action then they've succeeded. And when I say action, I actually mean watching boring, uninspiring people talk then that is exactly what happens. The show is just soooooo slow. The main storyline is just too dull and thinly stretched out and simply not interesting. Fight scenes are good but brief and - spoiler - it takes far far too long for the superhero to actually arrive. Very very disappointed with this and you only need to watch Constantine or Arrow to see TV superheroes done brilliantly.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun May 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Had another SHIELD catch-up.

Next episode is AOU related I do believe.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Mon May 04, 2015 10:06 am

Wolvieware wrote:Just finished Daredevil and contrary to the many glowing reviews I thought it was utter shit! If by dark and gritty Marvel meant make the show so black you can barely see the action then they've succeeded. And when I say action, I actually mean watching boring, uninspiring people talk then that is exactly what happens. The show is just soooooo slow. The main storyline is just too dull and thinly stretched out and simply not interesting. Fight scenes are good but brief and - spoiler - it takes far far too long for the superhero to actually arrive. Very very disappointed with this and you only need to watch Constantine or Arrow to see TV superheroes done brilliantly.

I haven't actually watched past episode 2 but a lot of Netflix produced shows are very slow going.  They don't seem to do fast-paced shows.  

However, based on the above quote, you will love The Flash.  After a good but wobbly start, it has quickly developed into a brilliant weekly dose of colourful superhero action.  The humour is brilliant and evident throughout, the villains have been over the top and regularly entertaining (especially Mark Hamill) and the overarching story has become fascinating.  It is also a great companion piece to the moody, seriousness of Arrow.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri May 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Constantine cancelled. This is the saddest news since firefly. I really don't think my TV tastes suit networks as it seems my shows I like always get cancelled!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sat May 09, 2015 11:30 am

What makes it worse is that they toyed with our hopes for ages.  There was so much talk about a potential second series and that the fan response was brilliant...then they just oulled the rug at the mast moment.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat May 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Had a catch up session of The Good Wife.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri May 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I know the book had its fans here so is anyone else going to watch Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel on BBC Sunday? I've had the book but criminally not read it still. Maybe this show will inspire me to finally pick it up.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm

I am definitely going to watch it.  It is my favourite book and the early word is that the BBC has done a really good job with the adaptation.  Might even read the book again.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Ive watched pretty much all of outlander so far with my Dad, and then bits and bobs of Vikings.. I enjoyed Outlander as a show but only find Vikings passable.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat May 16, 2015 11:47 pm

sorenlorensen wrote:I am definitely going to watch it.  It is my favourite book and the early word is that the BBC has done a really good job with the adaptation.  Might even read the book again.

I think I'm gonna skip the show and wait till I read the book first...which you will be pleased to know I made a start on this afternoon.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun May 17, 2015 12:01 am

Wolvieware wrote:

I think I'm gonna skip the show and wait till I read the book first...which you will be pleased to know I made a start on this afternoon.
Yay!
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Season finale of SHIELD, oooooo. Setting up stuff for years to come in the film and TV universe.

First two episodes of Vikings season three.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Thu May 28, 2015 9:12 am

Watched The Flash finale last night.  An absolutely brilliant episode.  It said a lot about the strength of the characters and their development over the season that the final episode spent a lot of time on smaller character beats and scenes.  It was all the better for it.  Surprisingly, there must have been a lot of dust in the room because my eyes were watering throughout it as well...

This series has risen from the shadows of Arrow and proven itself to be far better (this season).  A fantastic, fun and really superheroy joy of a show.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun May 31, 2015 8:51 pm

Finished Vikings season three and then watched Daredevil.

Not really sure how I feel about Daredevil. I know that comics and TV/films differ and in some cases it has to and can work for the better but I felt like too much of it differed and not in a good way.

Apologie for being vague, don't want to ruin anything for anyone who may not have watched it yet.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Anyone missing Constantine now it is over can watch this quirky spin off: 

Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:23 am

There's some cracking TV on at the moment, although you'll need a SKY sub to see it. Game Of Thrones, The Affair and Penny Dreadful are well into their current runs. Strike Back and Banshee started new series last week, Hannibal returns this week and True Detective Season Two is coming soon. Happy days.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Just finished Under the Dome Series 1. I've read the book which I thought was over long twaddle, with a few decent moments, but a concept that was never going to be resolved satisfactorily. I only watched the first episode out of curiosity...but found it was actually quite good. Sadly the first episode was the best, as the rest of the series petered out with its stupid concept really not selling. It deviates massively from the book, in that it shares the concept only, and tells a completely different story, and by the end, I was getting a bit fed up, and wish the Dome would come down. But, there's a second series, so of course, there's no resolution.

Question is, do I continue with season 2, or just give up...?!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:29 pm

It's now on season three so if you are fed-up with the first season will you really want to watch another 26 episodes. Personally if it was me and I wasn't enjoying it I would give up on it, life is too short and there is so much to watch at the moment.

As for me, recently I've watched Orange is the New Black season three (good but weakest season) and Game of Thrones season five which I liked.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Season 2 of Penny Dreadful has really hit its stride in the last few episodes.  The season has been very good but the last few episodes have been excellent. Some of the best TV we are watching at the moment.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 am

Excellent finale to Penny Dreadful.  Really gloomy, dark and gothic.  Loved it.  This series has been brilliant and confirmed it as one of the best things on tv at the moment.  Looking forward to next season already, especially as the main antagonist should be very interesting - assuming it is who they seemed to set it up as. I have also heard rumours that Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde might be introduced...

I also have to say that the shows Frankenstein is the best version of the character I have ever seen.  Every single scene he is in is wonderful and his portrayal as an eloquent, tragic creature is fantastic.  Just brilliant. 

And on a seperate note, my wife is now watching Little House on a Praire.  Somebody help...
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:17 am

Yeah I love Penny Dreadful, and having the mesmerising Eva Green in it is just a bonus. As you say a great but really dark finale, with all the protagonists separated, alone and scattered around the globe. Can't wait for the next series.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:40 am

Agree on Penny Dreadful - watched the season finale last night, very good.

I've also shotgunned Season 4 of Veep this week.  Absolutely hilarious, loved it.
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Watched the first three episodes of season six of 30 Rock last night after finally buying season six and seven recently.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 pm

dste01 wrote:Watched the first three episodes of season six of 30 Rock last night after finally buying season six and seven recently.
My wife is re-watching all of 30 Rock at the moment and I'm enjoying watching the odd episode with her. Has to be one of my favourite comedy series!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next