The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General TV thread

+9
Odyssey
funky phil
megablast16
naughtyrobot
kerr9000
CPC6128
cal_el
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
13 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

General TV thread - Page 7 Empty Re: General TV thread

Post by dste01 Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Dead Like Me: Life After Death direct to TV movie.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but still poor and especially compared to the series. Cast members missing or replaced, pointless storylines and storylines that were obviously going to be for a third season but were rushed through to wrap things up.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Kung Fury.

Starts off entertaining enough but even at just half hour long the joke starts to wear thin.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Watched Speed with Guy Martin: F1 Special last night which was a great introduction to Channel 4s new coverage of F1. If it's a sign of things to come it was brilliant! Watching a superbike versus an F1 car was great fun and there were some really funny moments too.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Caught up with the X Files today. Anyone else watch this new series? I loved the X Files when I was younger, and I loved that it made a come back. The first episode was brilliant! Then the second, not so much. Then there was a reverse monster episode which was great! Then the next episode not so much. So it was hit and miss, but overall I just loved seeing the characters back on screen again. However, the final episode was rather duff, and ended on the most open cliffhanger possible, which is just so annoying as there's no guarantee we will ever get another episode. The ending to the original TV run was such a better ending, and still didn't answer all the questions.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Yep, I watched The X-Files, didnt realise that I hadn't posted about it.

I thought that episode one had a good beginning and end but was pretty rushed through the middle. Episode two didn't quite gel for me, I liked the 'monster of the week' element but could have done without the William story line. Loved episode three, thought it was great, especially the whole bit about getting a job and a mortgage. Episode four was a decent enough monster of the week episode whilst episode five was meh apart from the hallucination scene, also didn't particularly warm to the two new characters. Episode six was OK and ended on a good ole X-Files cliffhanger.

So aye, was hit and miss but was good seeing Mulder and Scully together again but in my opinion they tried to cram too much in to six episodes. I read that originally it was supposed to be eight which would have been better as they could have maybe had episodes one and two and then seven and eight mythology episodes and the four in the middle as single episodes.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Daredevil season two.

I think on a whole whilst the acting/characters were great the season was slightly disappointing due to parts of it feeling contrived and story lines/characters petering out due to too much going on.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Finished Friends series 5 today in our continual watching of the whole series. It's very easy viewing, and with series 4 and 5, arguably at the shows peak of quality and status. And its still funny today!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

Really enjoyed it, tells a good story without out staying it's welcome.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Finally finished Gotham tonight. It's taken me a while because it's not that great. It starts off pretty poorly and I actually gave up before being enticed back in to try and complete it. I find Penguin to be a most annoying character and irritating in almost every scene he appears. A snivelling, greasy character who is just cringingly bad. Also Jada Pinkett Smith is also unconvincing as a mobster boss and just makes me wonder how her character even has a loyal following. On top of that the actor playing Gordon is super bland and dull. 

Yet this said the series really did improve in the second half and started to become more watchable. It goes to some quite dark and adult places with serial killers and grisly dark scenes. It also introduces some good villains - the Red Hood episode in particular, Riddler came off well I thought and Gordon eventually starts to become the police leader he needs to be which I also think helped make the show improve. Glad I stuck with it but overall lacklustre. I hear season 2 is better though.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 am

Wolvieware wrote:Finally finished Gotham tonight. It's taken me a while because it's not that great. It starts off pretty poorly and I actually gave up before being enticed back in to try and complete it. I find Penguin to be a most annoying character and irritating in almost every scene he appears. A snivelling, greasy character who is just cringingly bad. Also Jada Pinkett Smith is also unconvincing as a mobster boss and just makes me wonder how her character even has a loyal following. On top of that the actor playing Gordon is super bland and dull. 

Yet this said the series really did improve in the second half and started to become more watchable. It goes to some quite dark and adult places with serial killers and grisly dark scenes. It also introduces some good villains - the Red Hood episode in particular, Riddler came off well I thought and Gordon eventually starts to become the police leader he needs to be which I also think helped make the show improve. Glad I stuck with it but overall lacklustre. I hear season 2 is better though.
I know what you mean I got half way through season one before taking an extended break. I might go back to it at some point but I'm in no rush.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 am

I was massively looking forward to Gotham but gave up after seven episodes. The seventh one was being raved about as the best episode of the season and it was barely better than the rest so off the list it went.

It's now on Netflix and I've read some reviews of the second season that say it has improved but I'm just not bothered.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:47 pm

There also seems to be a lot of love in places for the penguin but I agree that the character is just terrible.  An awful performance in an awful show.  I have made about three attemlts to watch it but it is just poor.  I think I too got to the episode that was meant to be the best (something about a goat?) And found it to be just as dull and boring as the previous episodes.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm

The spirit of the Goat Killer or something like that, where you saw Bullocks former partner.

We lasted the episode after that where Penguin's plan was revealed and it was just meh.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 pm

The Fuzz

Is on Netflix and is five 20min episodes about puppets and humans where a puppet becomes a drug lord. It's daft but slightly amusing.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Ash vs Evil Dead.

Absolutely loved it, thought it was brilliant.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon May 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Also finished Auschwitz, the BBC series that accompanied the book. It's not quite as good as the book though. It contains less detail, has some rubbish music, and awful drama scenes. But where it really accompanied the book is in showing images and rare clips from the time that really drive the words from the book home.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun May 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Finally finished the whole of Chuck. The last season has ups and downs and the nagging feeling of a show that was out staying it's welcome. Although there were some true highlights in the season and the finale is a cheap storyline, but one that plays to 5 years of invested emotions. I couldn't help but feel like I was being played, but an effective ending all the same. The series as a whole is worth it, but varying quality throughout yet you will want to persevere for those good characters.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 pm

Wolvieware wrote:Finally finished the whole of Chuck. The last season has ups and downs and the nagging feeling of a show that was out staying it's welcome. Although there were some true highlights in the season and the finale is a cheap storyline, but one that plays to 5 years of invested emotions. I couldn't help but feel like I was being played, but an effective ending all the same. The series as a whole is worth it, but varying quality throughout yet you will want to persevere for those good characters.
I gave up on Chuck around when Timothy Dalton was the bad guy I just got really board with the whole show.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sun May 22, 2016 3:03 pm

cal_el wrote:
Wolvieware wrote:Finally finished the whole of Chuck. The last season has ups and downs and the nagging feeling of a show that was out staying it's welcome. Although there were some true highlights in the season and the finale is a cheap storyline, but one that plays to 5 years of invested emotions. I couldn't help but feel like I was being played, but an effective ending all the same. The series as a whole is worth it, but varying quality throughout yet you will want to persevere for those good characters.
I gave up on Chuck around when Timothy Dalton was the bad guy I just got really board with the whole show.
Season 4 was the worst IMV. The extended back 9 did it no favours.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon May 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Finished American Horror Story Asylum, series 2 of the show which I've watched on and off because I didn't really enjoy it. While the first was a focused, tense series with a great payoff, the tone of this series is all over the place. Serial killers, alien abduction, mental asylums and supernatural angels and devil possession. It's just all over the place and the constant queries over what's happening just bored me. It's also, clearly, not always fun viewing. While not scary in the slightest they prefer to make the episodes uncomfortable viewing instead. There were still some good moments though, enough to keep me coming back. 

I might move on to Daredevil series 2 before going on to series 3 of this.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun May 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Anyone else watch the new Top Gear? I thought it was pretty good and not the car crash it was being billed as in the lead up to the show. If anything, they've kept it too much too formula. This was a chance to change the show but they haven't - it's identical in all but the presenters. It's still entertaining though. My only gripe is Chris Evans. Can't stand him and his presenting style is too just shout at the screen. Also he's really looking old! Matt le Blank was surprisingly great though.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Also finished Shark, a BBC documentary. It was only a few episodes and contained the usual high quality footage of the company's nature programmes. My only negative is that it was a bit samey - that some of this I had already watched on Blue Planet. But I did like that because it was all based on sharks it did also include some of the lesser known sharks like one which has a whip like tail. Pretty cool.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Episode 2 of Top Gear was much better than the first. It had a good section with Jenson Button and the Africa trip was fun. Matt le Blanc is becoming the shows standout. Chris Evans still annoying as fuck. 

Also watched a documentary on Euro 96 hosted by Alan Shearer on BBC. Real nostalgic and I have fond memories of this time and tournament. Really interesting, and so strange to see 96 look so old fashioned when I still recall it vividly...but it didn't look like that!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Lost Girl seasons three and four.

Season three seemed a bit rushed and apparently fans don't like season four much but I prefered it to three.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Lost Girl season five.

Good season to finish off the series.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content