The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently completed game(s)

+7
CPC6128
sorenlorensen
aaroncupboard
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
kerr9000
11 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 Empty Re: Recently completed game(s)

Post by cal_el Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:47 pm

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered [PS4]
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition [PS4/PS Vita] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 26/3/16
Hitman: Prologue Episode [PS4]
Hitman: Paris Episode [PS4]
Deadly Tower of Monsters [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 24/3/16
Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4]
Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV [PS4]

April
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters [PS4]
Bloodborne [PS4]
Game of Thrones Episode 5: A Nest of Vipers [PS4]
PaRappa the Rapper 2 [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 CgAG_i2WEAA9A6b
I fancied something a bit different to play during my lunch breaks at work and seeing as I never played it when it first came out I decided to give PaRappa the Rapper 2 a go. I actually really enjoyed it. It was nice to play a nice and easy rhythm game for a change. The story and songs a suitably weird with the game's humour still being funny by today's standards. There's not a lot to the game overall but there doesn't really need to be. You play this for the short-ish entertaining story then keep playing to beat your high scores. 

I'd say it is worth checking out if you are a fan of similar games.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Just finished Assassins Creed: Syndicate. Now I've wanted this Victorian setting for ages, but now it's been delivered it just wasn't quite what I expected. Syndicate is in my opinion the worst AC game. It's so very generic and repetitive. The side missions are all bland rescue this person, kill this person repeated over and over. The main missions are similarly repetitive - head to this area, steal/locate something, fight, complete. Missions were never engaging. London was a bit too tedious to travel around, and the location was not as accurate as if hoped it would be but perhaps that's me expecting too much. The carriages made the game feel like GTA: Victorian London. 

But it's not all bad. The main assassination missions are generally very good, particularly Tower of London and Buckingham Palace levels. The two characters are good and continue the long live of decent assassin characters. 

I would consider myself a fan of the series having played all main entries, but Syndicate just leaves me feeling nonplussed. Not a bad game as such, just a bit lacklustre and unexciting. I just can't help but feel disappointed by this and it's a good thing the series is taking a short break.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:07 am

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Bloodborne NG+ [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 18/04/15

Completed my New Game + run through of Bloodborne, grabbing the last few trophies I needed for the platinum along the way. The only one I cheesed was backing up my save data so I could get both the submit and "true" ending trophies without having to do a third playthrough of the game. 

Overall my opinion on the game still stands. It is brilliant but also flawed in a few key areas. I did find my NG+ run through oddly cathartic though. I was over levelled for the majority of it thanks to the Old Hunters DLC and doing lots and lots and LOTS of Chalice dungeons. So for the most part I breezed through the main game. Areas I spent weeks and months stuck on fell to my blade in hours and those boss fights I found so frustrating became fun breaks from the dungeon crawling nature of the rest of the game. I also twigged more of the story this time around due to knowing its outcome and some of the lore that is revealed late in the game.

I have the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 waiting for me on my shelf but I think I need a break for a bit but we will see...

Last edited by cal_el on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Also finished Mad Max today. I will drop my new, usually grumpy about games persona for this one, because quite simply, its brilliant. And if you haven't tried it, I really urge you to give it a go. It's my game of 2015. It came out of nowhere to be so, and is completely unappreciated in my opinion. Like the movie, it's just a fresh and interesting game, with a high quality. From the very beginning you are drawn into its stunning looking world. The graphics are top notch, with so many pretty vistas - just goes to show that an apocalyptic wasteland can still look gorgeous.

I did struggle early on, dying frequently, as it's not easy, and I was under powered. The game is very much about driving, exploring, and raiding campsites to get upgrades. Many of these camps are intricate little puzzles, or large fight arenas, but usually all very well designed, and different enough from each other to make exploring them a highlight of the game. The map is well done, highlighting important parts, and ticking that box that makes you want to see everything you can.

Eventually, you are upgraded enough, constantly being given upgrades, new items, more powerful weapons, or skills, or armour, until suddenly, you just become this kick-ass destroyer. Those convoys with dozens of cars you ran away from in fear at the beginning of the game, suddenly, you are ripping them to shreds in minutes. The sense of progression in this game is stunning. And the story missions are detailed enough, and have enough good characters to really make you feel for these survivors. The dialogue is brilliant. The twists great, and it builds up to a fantastic climax that involves a battle that uses everything you learned previously in one go.

I'm so sad the game is over. I'm so thrilled I was persuaded to play it, because otherwise I would have missed out. This is one of those overlooked gems, and is one of the best current gen games I've played. It doesn't look like there will be a sequel, but as a singular, thoughtfully designed, fun to play, extremely exciting powerhouse of a game, perhaps its best to leave it as it is - a one off game that is pretty much perfect.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 am

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 [Wii U Virtual Console - Originally on N64]
Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 Starfox_boss-groes-bild
I've been feeling a bit nostalgic recently and the upcoming release of the new Star Fox game made me want to revisit this classic. It's not overly hard and you can complete playthrough in one sitting (by design) but this game is still just fun to play. Thankfully difficulty and replayability comes from the branching paths you take through the game with some of the more difficult levels requiring you to do specific things in the preceding mission in order to unlock them. I loved piloting an Arwing again and shooting everything in sight while trying (and mostly failing) to avoid taking damage. I also enjoyed the countless movie references and homages to classic sci-fi movies and TV shows that are peppered throughout the game. 

While playing it again I noticed that the game is surprisingly trippy. Something that went way over my head when I played the game to death on my N64 way back when. It is full of weird little spaceships and alien designs. There a floating rings everywhere and some of the boss battles are kaleidoscopes of colours and shapes being thrown at you. It is awesome! Heck Andross is just a giant floating head and hands in a green misty void who turns out to be a robot. It's a weird little game but it is so charming to play.

The Wii U port works really well but I did have to change the controller mapping a bit because the shoulder buttons weren't mapped to my liking. Being forced to use the Right Stick for the C-Stick buttons also caused a couple of problems in the heat of battle. In particular when trying to perform loops. I got used to it eventually but for the first few missions it was a hot mess. 
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Game of Thrones Episode 6: The Ice Dragon [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 21/4/16

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 5f1e0911a64cb4f0817a95464a02c761
Going into this last episode of the series I had concerns that the game wouldn't really have a big you win but you lose payoff like the TV show regularly does. But man this ending was brutal. 

To start with how a major part of it plays out is dictated on a choice I made at the end of the previous episode, the rest is brilliant culminations of the various character's arcs. With all having two or so big impactful choices that have far reaching impact, particularly if Telltale make a second season. 

Stuff is revealed, characters/the player needs to choose between saving their own skin or standing up for what they believe in, there is a couple of satisfying fights set in big battle scenes and a lot more. It is all very epic and dramatic as characters you've come to know quite well are dealt their fates both good and bad. A lot is left open for more stories with the House Forrester characters but if needs be the endings presented here are satisfactory. 

If you are a fan of the show it is well worth playing through the 6 episodes that make up the game.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Finally finished off Batman: Arkham Knight! I think I've spoken about my feelings on this game already so just a note on the ending - fantastic! It really brings the story together well and is another fascinating psychological insight to the character presented only the way Rocksteady can. 

Overall the game is patchy with some stellar moments, but also some not so great moments such as overusing the batmobile. However the game also presents a great end to a trilogy and playing all games as one big game equals one of the best gaming experiences ever. Arkham Knight is weak standalone but perfect when taken as part of the trilogy. 

I still have DLC to play and the Most Wanted missions to finish off which I will. I won't bother with Riddler though - too many collectible so to bother with in my opinion.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 am

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Game of Thrones Episode 6: The Ice Dragon [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 21/4/16
Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 KDw.960x540
Managed to squeeze this in before the start of May and despite the reviews and general negativity surrounding it, I really enjoyed Star Fox Zero. I think replaying Lylat Wars the week or so before helped because it completely took away the rose tinted glasses view of the franchise. So what I ended up playing in Star Fox Zero was a refined and worthy sequel to the N64 game I loved so much as a kid. With the gimmick of using the various aspects of the Wii U gamepad working really well IMO and it felt like a lot of thought had been put into making it work well with the gameplay. 

The main thing I have taken away from the game is that is was an engrossing experience once I got my head around the controls. A switch went off in my head and suddenly it felt like I was in the heat of battle waving the gamepad around to target enemies and trying to listen to my wingmen's radio chatter through its speakers suitably crackly speakers. All while loud explosions surrounded me via my tv speakers. 

It's not groundbreaking but Star Fox never was, it is just a good, entertaining and fun arcade shooter that plays to the Wii U's unique strengths. As usual with Star Fox games the short campaign length is more than made up for with replaying it to find hidden routes, secrets and playing alternative game modes. I've still got a lot to do in the game but it is something I can comfortably play every now and then to slowly chip away at the game's depths. 
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat May 07, 2016 9:15 am

Completed Star Wars : Racers Revenge tournament mode. I thoroughly enjoyed it again. The graphics really are quite ropey - I don't remember the game looking so brown and blurry, but looks past that and it's still a pretty good game. The idea of course is to complete tournament mode with each character which I might not do, but for the short time it lasted I liked it. Although I do remember pod racing on the N64 was even better...
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

May
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]
Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 Uncharted-4
This just might be the best Uncharted game. Yes even better than your first playthrough of Uncharted 2. Yes even better than your, "actually this is pretty damn good!" second playthrough of Uncharted 3. A Thief's End takes everything I love about the Uncharted games, refines it to a near perfect polish and then adds more things to it. The story and the game as a whole are a celebration of not only the Uncharted franchise but of Naughty Dog as a developer. A look back before whatever comes next from them. You get the feeling this is them saying goodbye to the franchise that took them into the top tier of game developers. 

So much to mull over and talk about but I'll save that for another time Laughing. Just know for now that this is required playing, especially if you have enjoyed any of the other Uncharted games!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue May 17, 2016 5:59 pm

I completed it yesterday too and I absolutely loved it. Thrills, spills, emotion, great storytelling that was aided by realtime cut scenes with the most expressive facial animation I've ever seen in a game, in game graphics that just blow the mind, and they get better and better as the game goes on. It's easily the best game I've played so far this gen. Perfect ending too, it's certainly the last Naughty Dog Uncharted game although Sony could continue it with a new development team, I hope not though. As much as I love the series I hope that's it now and they let it finish on this spectacular high.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun May 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Just finished Uncharted: Drakes Deception, and the Nathan Drake Collection as a whole. Having played all 3 games inside 6months really makes you see the improvements - not really in gameplay and action. That was always there from the beginning and it's a fun action packed ride. But in terms of story telling and dialogue and pacing of the game just improves constantly. By the time I'm at the finale of Uncharted 3, riding on horse back, it feels like an epic conclusion. It has actually made me look forward to the new game, and now I'm ready to play it I'm sure I will start it sooner rather than later now.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Thu May 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Uncharted 4.  

Best game of the series.  Best PS4 game so far and just immense, stunning fun from start to finish.  For starters, it looks gorgeous.  As in ridiculously gorgeous. Add to that the usual mix of combat, climbing and character and it just makes a brilliant experience.

The ending was simply perfect too.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri May 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

May
Pokemon Yellow [3DS Virtual Console - Originally on Gameboy/GB Colour]
Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 61PH3G5R9ML
I've had a blast replaying Pokemon Yellow after so many years!

There was a period in my life for about 2 years were I would play Pokemon Yellow to completion then delete my save data and start again. Eventually Nintendo got around to releasing a steady stream of new Pokemon games for me to enjoy so my Gameboy eventually disappeared into the ether with my cartridge for Yellow inside it.

Thankfully the powers that be at the Pokemon Company decided they needed some more money and made all three Gen I games available on 3DS! So splashed the cash and picked up Yellow, my favourite of the first batch of games. 

Overall the game has aged really well despite some issues with some of the more....half-baked systems in the Gen I Pokemon games. The inventory management and PC storage system in this game are a horrible, unhelpful mess and I can't believe I put up with it as a kid. Thankfully the core of the game is still perfect to this day. The slow exploration of the game's region and the thirst for catching them all has well and truly taken hold of me once again. So much so that I now have the lofty goal of having a full Pokedex (filled with legitimate Pokemon!) in Pokemon Sun/Moon when they are released later this year. 

For this playthrough I decided to try a couple of different Pokemon than the usual ones I go for and I didn't want to rely on the Gen I starters (because you get all of them in Yellow!) except for Charizard because that guy is the bomb! 

Here's my final team complete with the weird/silly nicknames I gave them,

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 Pokemon-yellow-team
My next Pokemon game is Soul Silver which is the remake of the Gen II games so I am sort of carrying on from finishing Yellow which is pretty cool Smile
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Had a successful evenings gaming and completed two games: 

First up Grim Fandango Remastered. Despite my initial thoughts I quite enjoyed this game. It certainly kept me playing consistently since I started it that it has become my fastest earned platinum. The characters and story really kept me wanting to play. That said I could not have done this without a guide. It's just so random, with no hints or even any semblance of logical thought to solve puzzles. So the guide was completely necessary but did also allow me to enjoy the game. 

And secondly, finished Call of Duty: Black Ops III. I'm sure many of you wont believe me when I say it genuinely is the best FPS I've played for awhile and best COD since Modern Warfare 3. It's consistently varied, with some inventive and fun levels and sections - it's got a quick pace, and in four player coop was a real blast. The only negative is that the story is utterly barmy. We couldn't follow it but it doesn't matter. As a showpiece of set levels we enjoyed them but not as a cohesive whole.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 am

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

May

June
The Order: 1886 [PS4]
Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 The_order__1886_wallpaper_by_de_monvarela-d770vf9

I felt like replaying this again recently so here we are with my second playthrough of The Order completed....

Yep this is going to be one of the most underrated game of this Gen for me. I can understand why it is not for everyone but I really like this game! The setting is great. The story builds nicely and the characters are interesting. I also really enjoy the gameplay QTEs and all. (I have come to accept that I'm a weird guy who likes his QTEs!) It's not too difficult. It's not too easy. It is just good fun to play. 

It also still looks beautiful even if Uncharted 4 has surpassed it in terms of graphical fidelity.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Just finished Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End. It was good but perhaps doesn't quite live up to the hype it's had. The beginning was a bit dull and it takes a long time to get going. It really peaks in the middle, around the E3 demo area, and then I found it really started dragging by the end and I actually wanted it to just get on and end. But it's a quality game. So well made and acted, and I love the smaller moments like walking through his house and playing PlayStation more than any combat part of the game. And it certainly does have a lovely epilogue that signs the series off with style. I hope they don't do more, or if they do just keep the name and style, but a whole new set of characters and story (bit like God of War 4 should have done!).
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Naruto: Path of the Ninja on DS.

Was pretty pants in all honesty. Was ridiculously easy for an RPG, barely had to upgrade stuff and didn't even bother with one of the level-up sections. The ending was also damn annoying, just ended.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:29 pm

Finished up my second playthrough on The Witcher 3, this time on 'Death March' and nabbed the Platinum trophy in the process. 

Such a great game and definitely one of the best games EVER created, IMO of course.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Completed Trials of the Blood Dragon today. It was great. I don't understand the negative reviews as I really enjoyed it. It's the same Trials gameplay but with a storyline. It's nonsense but allows a backbone of imagination throughout the game - to differing locations and art styles, to controlling motorbikes, tanks, and BMX. The on foot sections are terrible and so flimsy with controls they are hard to play, similar to a well publicised jet pack level, but not enough to ruin the game I thought. I got it for launch price of £11 which I feel is fair but the current £16 is a bit high and I would say sub £10 is a good price to pay if interested.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:58 am

Finished the Hearts of Stone expansion for The Witcher 3 the other day, in short, fucking brilliant stuff.

Whilst not a lot was added in the way of sidequests or new locations (due to being set in the existing area of Velen) the main quest more than made up for this, with some truly stunning moments, and was really well written as you'd expect from CDPR.

A truly testament to the quality of the aforementioned studio when a relatively brief expansion is still far superior to many full releases that other developers can often subject us to.

Next up, Blood and Wine expansion which I've only briefly looked it but early signs are (as expected) looking positive.
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Finished The Unfinished Swan this afternoon. I quite enjoyed it. It's a nice little game that presents story in interesting ways, and a sense of discovery by opening up the levels. It is a bit short, and then does end suddenly, just as its getting really good, but as a PS Plus freebie I'm very glad for the chance to have played it.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Completed Firewatch this afternoon. I enjoyed it. It's a walking game with some small interaction. There's a bit of challenge at first to use the map and compass at first but as you get familiar with the area becomes unnecessary. The story is good though and revealed well through radio conversations. I was a bit disappointed by the graphics, as it's a more cartoony look and a realistic look would have been more effective. Also it's very short, which is a shame and could have done more with events that could have occurred.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Updates in bold.

January
The Banner Saga [Steam]
Lifeline [iOS] 

February
Pokemon X [3DS]
Firewatch [PS4]

March

April
Bloodborne [PS4]
Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

May

June
The Order: 1886 [PS4]

July
- Life and playing games without end got in the way! Mainly Overwatch, lots and lots of Overwatch - 

August
Batman: The Telltale Series Episode 1: Realm of Shadows [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 10 Batman-The-Telltale-Series

In short: If you like the Telltale games and also have affection for the Dark Knight then you need to pick up this series!

In a bit more detail: While the first episode is quite simple and feels like you are going through the motions a bit too much this different exploration of Batman as a character is well worth a look. 
The game takes its queues from Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween & Dark Victory. Telling a new story set in the early part of Telltale's version of Batman's career. The game isn't overly reliant on just having Batman punch things though which is very good to see. You have to do some actual detective work in this game which is fun play. The game makes it clear that this is a mystery story with Batman, rather than an action game with Batman with some light detective stuff thrown in because it sort of needs to be there. The story being told is still in the early stages but they are tying in parts of Gotham's history and giving a possible darker side to Bruce's parents which is interesting. 

However the best thing about this game is when you have to do things in the Bruce Wayne persona. The game then switches to a cool dynamic where the player is trying to push to the right buttons to get the information they need while keeping up the pretence of Bruce Wayne's public image. This in turn plays into the games idea of choosing to be the Batman you enjoy seeing on screen/the page. You can be a really dark and violent, Dark Knight Returns style Batman or tread the line towards a more jokey swashbuckler take on the character akin to the version of the character seen in Batman: The Brave and The Bold. Then everything in between.

I'm really interested in seeing how this one plays out but for now I am 100% on board with what Telltale are doing with this game.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Just completed Resident Evil Remaster on PS4. I'm so proud because I've never played it to the end before and now I can finally say I've beaten it (on very easy!!). But every time I've played it, no matter how many times I've restarted it, it's always been fantastic. That mansion has never grown old and still 20 years on, it's brilliant! Just brilliant! And this version is the best - great graphics, improved controls and the sane great gameplay. It's been a pleasure to play this and I can't wait to go back and do it as Chris, and try it on a harder setting.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next