The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently completed game(s)

+7
CPC6128
sorenlorensen
aaroncupboard
PorcusHawk
Wolvieware
MarkySharky
kerr9000
11 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Recently completed game(s) - Page 3 Empty Re: Recently completed game(s)

Post by dste01 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Completed Resident Evil: Deadly Silence today on classic mode using Jill, didn't the get best ending though. Sad 

Despite the 'scares' not being scary at all in this modern day and age I did still really like the game and I'm tempted to play through it again before the year is out.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Finished Infamous Second Son  with the good/hero type ending... Kind of wanting to move on to something else... finished it with a 80% complete rate and I know I dont want to go through the whole thing again being evil... but tempted to finish of the paper chase thing as its kind of interesting
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Just completed Trine 2: The Complete Story. My eyes! My eyes! That is the best thing I can say about this game - the graphics are beautiful and look stunning throughout. So it's a shame that the game is a fiddly mess. The plot tries to be interesting, but it's threadbare, and it's all about the puzzles. But they are obscure, and the majority of the time we felt like we cheated our way through rather than solved anything. The controls are sticky and fiddly and it was a chore to play. Coop, and the games unintentional humour, got us through.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I really liked Trine 2 on WiiU (also co-op). Plot is a load of toss though
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Finished Valiant Hearts on PS4 this afternoon (day off ftw).  Really enjoyed it.  Loved the art style and thought it was thought provoking (and genuinely sad)
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Updates in bold.

September
Halo: Spartan Assault [Xbox One]
Velocity 2X [PS Vita/PS4]
Destiny [PS4] Story Missions
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4]

October
- No games completed due to manic SingStar launch work! -

November
Dragon Age: The Last Court [PC/Browser]
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox One]

December
Game of Thrones Episode 1: Iron From Ice [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 3 Lord-forrester-and-gared

Game of Thrones and Telltale are a great match! The game runs alongside the events of the show (it starts at The Red Wedding) and includes appearances by some of the cast in both likeness and voice. A good first episode that introduces you to the cast of characters you will be playing with and sets the stage. Then the ending! MY GOD! Like I said, Telltale and Game of Thrones are a damn fine match!

It was also a surprisingly bug free experience for a Telltale game. A couple of odd depth of field things from time to time but the usual chug of the game doing things in the background is gone. Which I'm guessing the extra power of the PS4 compensating for the more janky parts of Telltale's engine and code.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Infamous First Light. I enjoyed it but kind of think it would have been better to have played this and then Second son.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Updates in bold.

September
Halo: Spartan Assault [Xbox One]
Velocity 2X [PS Vita/PS4]
Destiny [PS4] Story Missions
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4]

October
- No games completed due to manic SingStar launch work! -

November
Dragon Age: The Last Court [PC/Browser]
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox One]

December
Game of Thrones Episode 1: Iron From Ice [PS4]
Tales From The Borderlands Episode 1: Zer0 Sum [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 3 Qqlgeoa8qcg56ds1svqk

Another winner from Telltale Games and any apprehension I had about making a narrative driven game set in the Borderlands universe is gone! 

This is a great alternative viewpoint of the setting that pokes fun at the main games while still managing to do its own thing. The game is framed in an interesting way to because you play as two characters who are both telling their version of the same story. So there is lots of branching and showing what happens while one character is doing something else. Which is something games rarely do.

The game also has close ties to the end of Borderlands 2 and looks like it is going to use that as a springboard to explore the franchise's setting in more depth than the main games. There is room here to show things like the Borderlands equivalent of social classes and how they all view each other while still having a lot of fun in the process. 

It was also a relatively bug free experience for me. The only downside is that the sound levels (like they are in most games) are way off. Which normally isn't a problem because games usually have sliders to adjust the different sound channels of Dialogue, SFX and Music. However, Tales From the Borderlands only allows you to change Music and SFX which is odd seeing as dialogue is perhaps the most important thing in Telltales games. So if like me, you despise seeing subtitles in a game in a language you understand this is super annoying because half the dialogue in several parts of Episode 1 is unintelligible because there are very loud things happening around the characters
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Tomb Raider on ps4. Really enjoyed it. Cant believe I owned the 360 one and never got around to putting it in the drive. Only really brought this cause it was cheap but ended up loving it.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:43 pm

kerr9000 wrote:Tomb Raider on ps4. Really enjoyed it. Cant believe I owned the 360 one and never got around to putting it in the drive. Only really brought this cause it was cheap but ended up loving it.
One of my favourite games of the past few years and it finally made me like the Tomb Raider franchise.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:03 pm

I liked the first 2 ps1 tomb raiders, and tomb raider legend but had some major fatigue with the series for a lot of the middle games between and after these ones. I was worried this is how I would fee about this one, no need to worry though it was awesome.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:43 am

Only Tomb Raider that I had played before the reboot was Legend on the GameCube which I really enjoyed.

I nearly gave up on the reboot as found it quite boring but a friend advised to stick with it and I'm glad that I did as I ended up really liking it.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Just completed Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. My opening opinions of the game may have been a little harsh. It did pick up. I think this game really benefited from an actually decent story and characters. For once in a COD game, you knew who the characters were, what their motives were, and there was even story development. Shock! OK, it's nothing special, but its better than the rambling mess, cliches and mixed up morality previous games have had. Because this side of the game is so good, it seems a shame that it doesn't really cut the mustard with the levels. The gameplay is standard COD - the EXO suits add absolutely ZERO to the gameplay - its a pity that the levels themselves are a bit boring. There isn't anything that really stands out, apart from chase through this building, run over this hill and shoot. It cut back on the crazy set pieces of previous games, so it felt more realistically paced, but it lost some of the excitement because of it. The level on the Golden Gate Bridge was a stand out, but then driving sections, in particular a fighter jet section, were terrible. The game certainly picked up after my initial opinions, but not enough to rescue it. Apart from some slightly good sections, it was generally an unexciting, run of the mill game.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:37 am

Just finished Peggle 2. Yeah more of the same but I really enjoyed it. Im going to the inlaws for 5 days tommorow so im going to be stuck to a DS and my laptop maybe my Vita if I remember to pack it. I enjoyed peggle 2 so much I have reinstalled the first one on my laptop.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Just finished Another World on Vita (it's a couple of quid on PSN and I couldn't resist). It pretty much still holds up some 20 years after I first played it on my trusty old Amiga. It's had a fresh lick of paint but still looks authentic. Some of the puzzles had me reaching for YouTube but I still remembered 90% of the game as the classic that it is. A great end to the year.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Well I finished MillionHeir on DS and the last couple of chapters were not actually that bad as the game raced through them instead of dragging them out like earlier chapters.

Still going to get rid though as will most likely never play it again. Anyone fancy it? Laughing
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:31 pm

Just completed Lego Batman 3: Bayond Gotham. It's not the best Lego game, but its the best of the Batman's. The story is fairly good actually, and utilises the characters well. Just as it starts to get a bit dull and repetitive, the game opens up and visits the Lantern worlds, which just adds a touch of colour and imagination to the story levels. The fun is in the collecting though, and unlocking all the characters. There's so many, its brilliant. There's no open world, but there are a few hub planets to explore, which I will probably get around to doing. I have all the DLC to play too, which sounds great - levels based on Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 am

New Year = New List! (That won't get delete halfway through the year!)

Updates in bold.

January
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor [PS4]

Recently completed game(s) - Page 3 Nat-games-middle-eart-Middle-eart-shadow-of-mordor-790x484

I have talked at length at why I love this game in a few places but this has been a genuine surprise. What would have been a competent Assassin's Creed/Batman: Arkham clone is elevated to that same level by the game's superb Nemesis System. The Orc captains I faced off against were unique to my playthrough and the ones that kept coming back to try and hunt me down became very personal enemies.

The game is not perfect, you regularly hit unwarranted difficulty spikes seemingly included to pad the game and force you to do some of the extra activities it has to offer. Also the story is absolute pants and has an awful ending. The last two story missions (apart from one very big and very cool battle at the start of the last one) are poorly done when the rest of the game's missions are reasonably good. So there is room for improvement for the inevitable sequel.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:12 pm

11th January
Infamous First Light
Great fun. Good bang for the buck (nothing...). Really enjoyed the collectibles because there weren't too many and they were challenging but not difficult. I hate the frustrating types where you basically need 5 hours with a walkthrough to get them all. Will probably pursue Second Son in future.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Updates in bold.

January
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor [PS4]
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood [Xbox One]
Recently completed game(s) - Page 3 Max_the_Curse_of_Brotherhood_Xbox_One_Marker

I absolutely loved this charming puzzle platformer! It made me recall playing SNES and MegaDrive games from way back when. The game is basic but the gradual increase in both difficulty and complexity make it really compelling. You want to keep going to gain new drawing abilities and to see the next challenge. The game focuses on mechanics more than telling a story, focusing in on how you over come the problems it throws at you.

Didn't take me long to finish either and made a nice break between bigger games. 

The only downside is I encountered a bug towards the end of the game that stopped the last few achievements I was meant to get from popping Sad
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:44 am

Game of Thrones ep 1. Slick product, genuinely shocking at times, some odd Northern(ish!) voice accenting. Not up to the standards of Walking Dead but a decent start. I'll be back for the second ep, anyway
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 pm

11th January
Infamous First Light

15th January
Valiant Hearts
This ended up being a lot longer than I'd ever anticipated, which made the abrupt last hour or so a bit disappointing to me. I had a fair amount of difficulty keeping up with the story as well - it kept name checking the other characters and I had no idea who they were or what their relationship was as that is all glossed over quickly at the beginning.
It's super charming, and the gameplay kind of stays fresh. The puzzles are fairly satisfying to work out without being too easy or too hard. However, there's no getting around the fact it's 7 odd hours of 2d sidescrolling (nicely drawn and animated nonetheless). The interspersed taxi missions were not the best attempt at breaking it up. It's rescued by its charm, mostly delivered by the dog, who I thought deserved a bigger ending. I'd heard a lot of praise for the ending, actually, but it never really got me on an emotional level like I'd read about and as I've said above, it all happens a bit quick.
All in all, it's alright-to-good. I'd only bought it on sale anyway so it was value for the price I paid.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:01 am

Just finished Catherine.. really enjoyed it, it was a nice bit of something different, had me clinging to my 360 forgetting I even had an xbox one and a PS4.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:56 am

kerr9000 wrote:Just finished Catherine.. really enjoyed it, it was a nice bit of something different, had me clinging to my 360 forgetting I even had an xbox one and a PS4.
Catherine is a great game! Nothing else like it Smile
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 am

I really enjoyed it but after the 15 hours it took me to finish it I had had my fill of it, so I watched all of the endings I didnt get on you tube... there was no way I could have put up with doing it like 7 more times.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next