The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random game chat

+8
sorenlorensen
megablast16
kerr9000
Moozo
PorcusHawk
CPC6128
cal_el
MarkySharky
12 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Random game chat - Page 7 Empty Re: Random game chat

Post by aaroncupboard Sun May 17, 2015 7:02 am

I find it is more the reviews of the games that are now far more efficient due to looking at websites.  I look at a review in a magazine nowadays and there is a high possibility I have already played it!

Gone are the days of eagerly reading a review of an anticipated game just before you buy it.  I still remember opening up my copy of a playstation 2 magazine and reading a massive review of God of War when I had heard absolutely nothing about it.  I went and bought it that week in a frenzy of excitement.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sun May 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah that is a big problem for games magazines now compared to websites. Last year the last copy of GamesTM I bought had a review of Infamous: Second Son weeks after I'd bought the game, played it twice to get the Platinum and traded it in. If a mag just misses a review embargo date due to it's print deadline it can be another 5 or 6 weeks before the mag prints it's review.

Last edited by megablast16 on Wed May 20, 2015 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 pm

I think game reviews in general are beginning to lose relevance.  Review embargos are ensuring that most people who want the game will be buying it regardless of reviews.  The reviews for Witcher 3 have been a rare example of the embargo being lifted a significant amount of time before the games release.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun May 17, 2015 8:41 pm

An other issue is you seem to get such wildly differing reviews for the same game....  back in the old days there were quiet a few megadrive or snes magazines which I felt I coudl trust there review scores to land within about a 5 point margin from what my own scores would be if I self reviewed the games..... nowdays you can see a game get 90 from one place and 65 from another.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Mon May 18, 2015 6:12 pm

sorenlorensen wrote:Do you get much extra stuff with the Patreon, Moozo? I listen to the VG podcast every week but not much of its video output.

It depends on your band. You have to pay quite a bit more for what you actually get. It's $5 for the extended podcast and then 10$ you start getting extra videos.

But for me the core video output is plenty. The Miller Report is my favourite. (They do more serious stuff too)

Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue May 19, 2015 11:11 am

Moozo wrote:
sorenlorensen wrote:Do you get much extra stuff with the Patreon, Moozo? I listen to the VG podcast every week but not much of its video output.

It depends on your band. You have to pay quite a bit more for what you actually get. It's $5 for the extended podcast and then 10$ you start getting extra videos.

But for me the core video output is plenty. The Miller Report is my favourite. (They do more serious stuff too)

I'm on the $5 per month level because the podcast is the main thing from them I consume and I am enjoying the extended bits each week. They tend to step out of the personas they've created for themselves a bit more.

In general I like Videogamer's "Video games are a bit weird and stupid at times" approach to things and that they can have a laugh at games, the industry and themselves. Also that despite their more comedic leaning push their reviews are well thought out, considered and don't get bogged down in bullshit and gamer politics.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm

I cancelled GamesTM when Imagine killed the old forum. I made out like it was in protest but in reality I'd been meaning to cancel my sub for a while; I tended to skim the reviews, digest the retro section and then put it to one side. Similar to others, this is the first time in over two decades that I am not currently subscribing to a games magazine and I do find that a sad fact. But, hey...the internet rules.
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu May 21, 2015 1:10 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=rW8z2VUm4NA6TwPB

A game for whoever wants it and tries to grab it first, its only like 3.99 full price so its nothing to earth shattering but it scores around 70% most of the time.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 am

kerr9000 wrote:https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=rW8z2VUm4NA6TwPB

A game for whoever wants it and tries to grab it first, its only like 3.99 full price so its nothing to earth shattering but it scores around 70% most of the time.
I grabbed it. Thanks for the code!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Fri May 22, 2015 8:39 am

your very welcome Smile
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu May 28, 2015 7:16 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=sMyM8rCUEx4hVDum

Again a game I dont need... anyone wants it grab it
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 am

Sony was in the dock last night on BBC's Watchdog over their refund policy if money is taken fraudulently from your PSN account and used to buy games by another party, basically they wont give you one because it's all your fault as they see it, assuming you've let your account be compromised and not due to Sony's own security measures. Not only that but if you've been the victim of fraud and you ultimately go to your bank to get the money back from Sony, they block your account and stop you accessing all the digital content you've already paid for unless you repay your "debt."

Sony's response was the usual PR guff, thanks for bringing this to our attention, as if they didn't already know their own T & C's, we'll look into our policies etc. etc. But they say they will continue to block accounts.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:32 pm

So a sequel to Shadow Warrior has been announced.  Now the original is a wonderful slice of old school shooter mixed with genuinely brilliant swordplay.  It has its tongue placed firmly in cheek and yet it was a fantastic game in its own right.

All meaning that I am really excited about the sequel now.  Interestingly, it has four player co op!
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:00 am

A handful of PS4 games have now been given official release dates, and they're all pretty close

The intriguing looking Everybody's Gone To The Rapture will be out on August 11th.

Mike Bithell's Volume arrives a week later on August 18th.

And finally reworked Vita game Tearaway Unfolded comes to PS4 on September 11th in the UK.

Last edited by megablast16 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by PorcusHawk Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:13 am

megablast16 wrote:A handful of PS4 games have now been given official release dates, and they're all pretty close.......

As well as Tales of Zestiria, which is now coming to the PS4 AND PS3 on Oct 16th Very Happy
PorcusHawk
PorcusHawk

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:21 am

Just heard a rumour that the new game Platinum Games hinted they're working on may actually be a Transformers game, it suggests it's a "cel shaded brawler" being published by Activision, digital only and cross gen too.

WTF! I thought it might be a new Bayonetta or even Vanquish game.   scratch
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Has anyone here played Evil Within, and what are your opinions of it?

I was very interested in the game before release, and liked the look of it, but that interest cooled around release, and I never got it, and I'm not overly fussed anymore. But It's reduced to a fairly good price now, and I wondered if anyone thought it was worth playing or not, to give me an idea of if I should play it.

To be honest, its not the price thats the issue, its if it is worth my precious time?
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I got Evil Within around xmas when Game had the limited edition on sale for 22quid New... never played it, Started playing it a few weeks ago... If you want a Resident Evil 4 with the more limited resident evil 1 amount of Ammo and some silent hill style mind fuck creatures as opposed to zombies then its good..Ive made my way through 4 or 5 levels and found it enjoyable, depends how much you like horror.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 am

Yeah I played it last year and it wasn't bad. I've also heard there's now a patch allows you to remove the black borders from the screen on console. I'd have liked that option when I played it, I hate the widescreen look in games.
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by sorenlorensen Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:06 pm

I'm like Wolvie - seems interesting but I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge.  Be a good PS+ title Smile
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah would love for this to be ps+!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 pm

I was thinking recently how demo's really are a thing of the past. So it was with delight that a decent demo actually appeared on PSN today for Dyling Light.

Then I saw it was 10GB. For a demo! No wonder they aren't so common anymore.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:44 am

Wolvieware wrote:I was thinking recently how demo's really are a thing of the past. So it was with delight that a decent demo actually appeared on PSN today for Dyling Light.

Then I saw it was 10GB. For a demo! No wonder they aren't so common anymore.
They also really cut into your development time and budget.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPC6128 Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:54 am

People are less interested in demos now that devs release hours of gameplay footage before release. I've never understood that tough, why spoil it for yourself? Give me a properly crafted demo any day of the week. I recently paid a tenner for the latest Final Fantasy game, mainly to get access to the FF XV demo!
CPC6128
CPC6128

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 pm

I just think back to some of the classic demo I loved. The Forza 3 demo was like a game itself - a track and 10 cars to try made it last hours. The Darkness was a great demo that it persuaded me to buy a game I previously held no interest in. Its a shame it's not really done anymore.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next