The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies.

4 posters

Go down

Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies. Empty Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies.

Post by dste01 Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:17 pm

As the title states the cinema chain Odeon is adding an extra pound to the price of a ticket for blockbuster films such as Interstellar, Hunger Games and The Hobbit.

A spokesman said that: "So we can give our guests the very best experience and keep it that way, we operate a dynamic pricing policy so that we can offer some excellent discounts during our quiet periods. As Interstellar is a blockbuster film and has a high popularity rating, the premium price is applied. However this extra £1 will be dropped from the films after a few weeks of release".

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/cinema-pricing/33021/lionsgate-boss-british-films-should-be-cheaper-at-cinemas

I've only been to the cinema twice in the past two years (both Marvel films this year) and I always go on cheap Tuesday night where the price is £3.50 so it wouldn't affect me but should cinemas do this? If they did should they lower the price of smaller/independent films to try and get more people in? Will it just most likely end up being charge extra for blockbusters and leave it at that.

Thoughts?
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies. Empty Re: Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies.

Post by kerr9000 Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:25 pm

I used to go to movies at Cineworld that started before 12 because they were like 2/3rds of the price but now they are full price.

I have a disability pass which means the price for me and one person with me is the price of one ticket which helps. 

I also use a cineworld thing called take 2.. you pay 11quid for 2 tickets, a medium popcorn and 2 drinks. You have to book in advance though.

It is costing more to get to the movies now days though.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies. Empty Re: Odeon cinema adding extra £1 to ticket prices for blockbuster movies.

Post by Wolvieware Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I used to go to the cinema loads - multiple times a week. I once racked up over 70 movies in one year. So believe me when I say that in recent years this has been a massive decline and in 2014 I haven't reached 20 visits yet.

Partly this is down to the movies, but also due to the high costs of going to the cinema now prevents me from taking a punt on a movie. I now cannot afford to see a movie for the sake of it and it has to be one that I really want to goo.

So if odeon want to make audience figures drop off even more they are doing a damn good job of doing so.

The annoying thing is that my three closest cinemas are all odeon so they have the monopoly. I've got not choice but to lump their extortionate pricing or drive 40 mins away to a Vue which ain't much different. 

I really love the cinema. I've always said that if I ever win the lottery I'm going to make my own home cinema properly. But the cost these days is obscene. You can go to theatre and metal gigs for cheaper than a cinema ticket these days. 

A traditional romantic night out of dinner and a movie is now costing up to £100!

It's no surprise that Orange Wednesday's are so rammed - it's the only time people can afford the bloody place!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:25 am

It is starting to get ridiculous. Thankfully my local cinema is an Empire and they have good pricing pretty much all the time.

There is still the ridiculous markup on drinks and snacks though. Popcorn on average has a 300% mark up on it....
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 pm

Isn't the popcorn/food/drink where cinemas make most of the money due to the way that the ticket price is distributed?

Wolvieware wrote:It's no surprise that Orange Wednesday's are so rammed - it's the only time people can afford the bloody place!

When myself and a friend went to see GOTG on the second week that it was out we went on cheap Tuesday and every single 2D showing was sold out whilst the 3D showings which were nearly double the price had loads of seats left. We then went back a month later and the showing was still over half full.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I used to love 3 D as well, but now that's another gimmick I tend to avoid unless it's a more convenient time. I still like it but can't see how it justifies extra pricing.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:21 am

Well on top of the £1 premium that has been attached to 'blockbuster' films expect to pay another 50p on top of that for Spectre.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/spectre/36944/spectre-odeon-adding-extra-to-usual-blockbuster-ticket-premium
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down