The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer!

4 posters

Go down

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Empty Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer!

Post by cal_el Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:45 am

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Gw-rules-banner

Games Workshop have done the "unthinkable" and have killed off Warhammer Fantasy Battle, their original non-40K Space Marine featuring game. In it's place is Warhammer: Age of Sigmar a completely new game with streamlined rules and a focus on bringing in new and lapsed players to the hobby. The key thing for the game is that the rules are now only 4 pages and are available for free along with all the various army stats and figures on the Games Workshop website: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/age-of-sigmar-compendiums

They've given stats for all the old Fantasy Battle figures too so players can easily transition to the new system. So if you have some lying around maybe it is time to blow the dust off them and give the new game a go.

Naturally the established player base has polarised over it. Half seeing it as a needed change the other getting incredibly and hilariously angry. Personally I am very interested and I keep looking at the fancy £75 starter box and wondering were I am going to get the cash for it from.

cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Empty Re: Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer!

Post by dste01 Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Never been interested in Warhammer, the only time I've rally experienced it is when a mate was working at the factory and was getting the sets for ridiculously cheap, but as an outsider it does seem a really good idea as last time I was in a Games Workshop store it was confusing as hell.

I think that's the main problem for me, it can seem so confusing and over bearing for people like me who doesn't play with that kind of thing. If a mate said to me now here's an army and a four page instruction booklet then I would give it a go.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Empty Re: Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer!

Post by sorenlorensen Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:39 am

Presumably, Cal, there's nothing to stop players playing old Warhammer fantasy battle?  In which case, why are some players whining?

This seems business sense from GW to me - I figure the money is in the figures and in reducing the cost of entry you attract new players.  Like giving free cigarettes to schoolkids Wink
sorenlorensen
sorenlorensen

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 am

As long as you can use your old figures I cant see the issue... apart from there will be clever sods who preferd the rules to be complex...but the books and such will still exist so if they really want to play to those rules then let them do that together away from the masses.

I remember when we used to play there were pages on the undead in the rulebooks which were highly confusing, basically whole passages saying they were unstoppable and couldn't die which kids tried to use to make them an army which couldn't be stopped... there was then pages in follow up rule books saying that while they never ceased to be they could be crippled to a point in game terms they were effectively a dead playing piece and couldn't be used...
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:14 am

It is in part people being upset that Fantasy Battle is dead and is no longer being supported by GW. As in you will no longer be able to take your figures to a GW store and play Fantasy Battle. You can use them to play Age of Sigmar but that is a stop gap really as they are meant to be doing new figures and designs for all the races featured in the new setting. 

The other main gripe is currently the new rules are not currently conducive to competitive play. Which surprise, surprise is how angry people on the internet prefer to play. There is no points system or hard limits on the number of troops you can bring into a battle. It is all down to the players agreeing on what they will be playing with beforehand. Also the focus is now on creating epic stories and playing out the narrative of Age of Sigmar around the battles you fight rather than just simply winning via rules exploits and min/maxing the points value of your army. 

It is an active move away from the somewhat antisocial behaviour of doing anything to win that pushed me away from the hobby years ago. The rules end with a short bit on that no matter what both players should be having fun and it reminds me of the Games Workshop I grew up enjoying and throwing my parents' money at Wink

Made a deal with my wife that sees me cancelling my Collector's Ed. of Metal Gear V to help cover the cost of the new starter box. So expect updates as I dive head first into Warhammer again!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:55 pm

For people wanting to get an idea of what the new miniatures look like: (Note these are just the good guys the Chaos army that comes in the box has more miniatures!)
Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Tumblr_nrjsp5tvpH1qgianpo1_540
Warhammer is dead. Long live Warhammer! Tumblr_nrmxr0AhMz1qgianpo1_540
I've had to order a load more paints for the colour scheme I want for my Stormcast Eternals and should hopefully be able to start painting them properly in a week or so!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum