The Checkpoint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Thread

+6
CPC6128
dste01
sorenlorensen
megablast16
cal_el
MarkySharky
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Star Wars Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Star Wars Thread

Post by cal_el Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:44 pm

CPC6128 wrote:I'm about half way through the "Aftermath" book.....but sadly, it's not great so far Sad
Yeah I'm about 1/3rd of the way through and I'm not overly enjoying it No
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

https://thecheckpoint.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:00 am

I also am about a 1/3rd of the way through and think its shit. It's a very pointless read so far. Hardly worth ditching years worth of quality stories for this drivel. So far, all I can say about this book is that it was designed as a money spinner. It currently has no other redeeming factors, is doing nothing to incite excitement for the films, and seems to struggle to have a plot that makes sense. There's lots of abstract chapters that explain...stuff...but still leave the reader with no real clue as to what is going on.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:58 pm

I think the overall quality of the new series of books have been awful.  Tarkin was just complete shit and whilst Lords of the Sith was a fairly ok read, it was also utterly pointless.  All of the other books just seem rubbish.  A shame and nothibg compared to the Heir to the Empire trilogy, New Jedi Academy trilogy and so many more! 

I saw the Aftermath is actually the first in a trilogy too but it has been unanimously panned.
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22 am

The road to the Force Awakens has started for us here, as tonight we watched Episode I, and intend to see if we can get through all Episodes before the new movie. I thought it might be fun to do a little retrospective of the movies, especially as I haven't really watched them for a few years.

And yes, Episode I is really shit. I was a bit of a defender of the movie for a long time - its not as bad as people say. But unfortunately age has not been kind to this movie, and it feels clunky and greenscreeny. the once stunning special effects range from still good to shoddy. Jar Jar looks like a PS4 character, but occasionally wide location shots still look great. But in many films where age has not been kind to it, at least the movie holds up in other ways. Not so here. The story really is bunkum of the highest order. Who wants to watch a trade dispute? And the acting is truly woeful. Jake Lloyd particularly, Ewan McGregor is completely unnecessary, and dialogue is awkward. Even the finale is not as good as I remember, possibly due to lightsaber fights in II and III being better.

But its not all bad. Liam Neeson is the films saviour, grounding it in reality like Harrison Ford did. Shame they killed him. And Darth Maul stalks the film like the predator he is. Shame they killed him. And the pod racing is still exhilirating. And the film truly does set up the start of a series of classic films, and its quite nice to watch this blank canvas unfold knowing the good stuff I have coming up.

Still, I can see how this really is a rather large disappointment when you ponder all the "Could have been" Episode I's.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:07 pm

I watched them all in Machete order recently. Recommended... no Episode I! Though it's a bit late for you now wolvie
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 pm

I should hopefully be sitting down to re-watch all the movies once I've moved house!

Episode I has its moments but it is the weakest film out of the lot.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 pm

I presume that everyone has watched the Japanese trailer and TV spot.

Looked damn good.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 am

dste01 wrote:I presume that everyone has watched the Japanese trailer and TV spot.

Looked damn good.
Yes and now I'm thinking of going into isolation because I feel they are starting to show too much even for an Abrams film!

In other news Fantasy Flight Games the people who currently have the license to make Star Wars card and miniature games (X-Wing, Imperial Assault, etc. all of which are worth playing!) has done some legal wrangling and are bringing out a new board game early next year called Star Wars: Rebellion!

The Star Wars Thread - Page 3 Sw03_layout_left

The game has a lot fo components including some nice looking miniatures, 
The Star Wars Thread - Page 3 Epic-battle-diagram

It is meant to be players running through their own alternative version of the grand conflict of the original trilogy. The early buzz has been really positive so if your interested in getting a good Star Wars game give it a look! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-rebellion/

And yes if you are playing as the Imperials you have the Death Star and you can blow up any planet you wish!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:43 am

Those TV spots are making me more excited for this film than any of the trailers. The full trailers were all too moody and these spots are much more exciting.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Tonight was the turn of Episode II: Attack of the Clones and this did face better than Menace. In fact in many ways it's a lot better. First though, those negatives - essentially the Anakin - Padme love story is at best embarrassing and worse truly woeful. The sense of awkwardness is palpable, couple with terrible dialogue and Hayden Christenson's anguished face they are easily the worse parts of the film. Boring and lacking screen chemistry, along with rolling in the grass, make it unbelievable Luke and Leia were ever born. And this is a crucial part of the whole saga ballsed up right there. It's not the only plot point that's broken. The whole clone army creation is murky. Who did order it? A Jedi? Sidious or Dooku? And the Jedi just decided to make use of an army it only knew existed minutes previously? And Jango Fett is the clones DNA but is employed by Dooku (Darth Tyranus) who is on the Trade Federation side? It makes my head hurt. It's so poorly explained in the movie I actually googled it and I'm still not sure. And finally once again, the CGI has dated...in places. Mostly the Coruscant speeder chase. 

So thank Ewan McGregor for appearing, because his half of the movie really brings the film alive. His detective story of hunting down Jango is interesting and exciting. He gets to meet cool characters like Dexter Jettster, have a cool fight with Jango in the rain, and gets the coolest lines. More time with him than mopey Anakin would have been appreciated. The start of the Clone Wars is also worth sticking around for. It's a shame in the movies we only see the start and end of the Clone Wars but the TV series in between Episodes II and III is awesome so that makes up for it. And I think the CGI does stand up on the whole, feeling less greenscreeny. There's even some decent dialogue and funny one liners by the end.

Overall it's a much more exciting and action packed movie than Phantom Menace, just half ruined by Anakin and his teen angst. If that had been cut it would have been a lot better!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:51 pm

I've booked my tickets now - Sunday 20th at Odeon Lounge in London Bayswater. This is the dining cinema experience where you have a meal served to you as you watch Smile can't wait!
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:19 am

Wolvieware wrote:I've booked my tickets now - Sunday 20th at Odeon Lounge in London Bayswater. This is the dining cinema experience where you have a meal served to you as you watch Smile can't wait!
That would annoy the shit out of me Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:17 pm

It looks proper fancy. You get a leather armchair and a table. Cinema in style! You order before the film and they just deliver food to your numbered seat.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by aaroncupboard Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:24 pm

How much is that?! 

That puts my VUE at Camberley to shame...

My biggest concern is that I have a few kids in my class going to see it on the day it comes out.  We then have one more day of school where I bet the little sods van't keep their mouths shut!
aaroncupboard
aaroncupboard

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Wolvieware wrote:It looks proper fancy. You get a leather armchair and a table. Cinema in style! You order before the film and they just deliver food to your numbered seat.

That just sounds completely wrong to me. Shocked
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Wolvieware wrote:It looks proper fancy. You get a leather armchair and a table. Cinema in style! You order before the film and they just deliver food to your numbered seat.
That sounds less annoying but still the sounds and smells of people eating...
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:51 pm

The very latest TV spot, number 7 I think.  Cool

megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:30 am

megablast16 wrote:The very latest TV spot, number 7 I think.  Cool

Its starting to feel like they are showing a bit too much now.
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dste01 Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm just avoiding all the TV spots now, it's getting too close to the film being released now.
dste01
dste01

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:45 am

io9 have got a really good summary of all the known Post Return of the Jedi events from various books, comics and short stories released in the past year: http://io9.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100

I'm reaching peak excitement levels now!
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by megablast16 Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:43 am

Some lucky people have seen it now following last night's American premiere. We've got seats booked for this coming Sunday, in the afternoon.  Cool
megablast16
megablast16

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:00 pm

I was thinking of seeing it friday at 12.40 in the afternoon basically because I am working an Early and will be finished by around 11.20, but I have no one to see it with and feel a bit dumb going on my own.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvieware Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Not to sound too sad then, but I've been to the cinema many times on my own. It's hardly a social event sitting in silence watching a movie, especially at the time you want to go. It's not like a night out.
Wolvieware
Wolvieware

Back to top Go down

Post by cal_el Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:00 am

kerr9000 wrote:I was thinking of seeing it friday at 12.40 in the afternoon basically because I am working an Early and will be finished by around 11.20, but I have no one to see it with and feel a bit dumb going on my own.

Nothing wrong with going to the cinema on your own. I did it all the time at Uni, also it should be really quiet around that time.

In other news if like me, you are deathly afraid of anything about the Force Awakens possibly being spoiled for you. This Chrome Extension has proven to be quite useful for me: http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/12/16/force-block-avoids-spoilers-and-blocks-every-mention-of-star-wars

EDIT: Posted the above then it displayed the spoiler warning when the page reloaded. Good to see it is super cautious Laughing
cal_el
cal_el
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerr9000 Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

My daughter had the morning off school with a ''migraine'' cough cough, wink wink nudge nudge, so we went and saw it at 8'0clock this morning, the screening was only about a quarter full, a third max. It was awesome. I wont say any more as it is a film which a lot of people will probably find spoiled for them by big mouthed friends and such and If someone did it to me id probably headbutt them.
kerr9000
kerr9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next